Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 can I throw more lead? >

can I throw more lead?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

can I throw more lead?

Old 12-19-2007, 11:29 AM

Default can I throw more lead?

I have a .54 lyman 1/60 that shoots balls pretty good. . . .took a nice cow elk this fall using 90Gr 777 and a patched ball. Wondering now about next season and if I can expect any accuracy using some heavier miniballs. If so give me a few choices.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: can I throw more lead?

I say don't argue with success. But you may want to try Hornady's PA conical bullet if they make it in 54 cal. These were developed for use in the T/C PA Hunter which also had a 1/60 twist (I think). They did work well out of my friends 50 cal.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

I just checked Hornady's site. They make them in 54 cal in 390 and 425 gr. Geez - that would be like hitting an elk with a bowling ball.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:34 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Texasimport

I have a .54 lyman 1/60 that shoots balls pretty good. . . .took a nice cow elk this fall using 90Gr 777 and a patched ball. Wondering now about next season and if I can expect any accuracy using some heavier miniballs. If so give me a few choices.
With the 1-60 twist, I would stick with what works...Minnie ball never shot good for me. If you like Minnie ball, I have a .54 caliber mold to make them. Inever make them because they shoot so terrible, but I have the mold. I also have one in .50 caliber and do not find them all that great of a projectile. While weight wise they might be big players, their accuracy stinks. And I have tried shooting them out of a lot of different rifles.

If you want to start shooting the maxiball or other conicals, pick yourself up a .50 caliber 1-32 twist barrel and put that on the rifle. You must be shooting the Lyman Great Plains Rifle now, so a simple Great Plains Hunter barrel would put you in business. They are not all that expensive and it would open a lot of different avenues for you. Also go with the .50 caliber as there is a better selection of projectiles and a .50 caliber conical is bad medicine on what every you want to shoot. In fact I almost have myself talked into a flintlock in Great Plains just what you have but with both barrels.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:51 PM

Thanks guys. . .Cayugad. . .I figured you would chime on in. . . .Just happen to already have a lyman .50 1/32 got it for my boy last season. . . .It's a pretty good shooter too. . . .we are going out in Jan to see about getting his cow tag filled. Nice new law in Colo is that a youth who does not fill his tag during an earlier season may use that tag to take a cow in any other GMU for late season. . . .

I was just fishin around to see if I could hope to keep the accuracy I have enjoyed shooting balls and add a little more weight. . .kind of sounds like I need to leave it alone and just keep practicing and scouting.

Hopefully I can fill my tag a little closer to my truck next season. 3.4 miles humping that meat back to the truck this year about killed me. Sure does eat well though.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:00 PM
Dominant Buck

You need pack mules.. you're a lot tuffer then me!! Wow that would be a haul.

The elk I shot MANY years ago, the guide gutted it, he packed it out, and I had my picture taken... Now that was hunting. Warm bed, good food every night, and all I had to do was follow this guy around the mountain.We had to settle on an animal he felt was inferior, butwe were running out of time, and he could not find a good bull. I wasstill thrilled. Actually I had the time of my life. I want to do it again, but with a muzzleloader.. Maybe a flintlock.

Good luck you your son.. I have a .54 Lyman Trade Rifle Flintlock that actually shoots conicals really well. It will shoot a 405 grain powerbelt with 90 grains of Goex excellent. I think that would make a good elk load.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would think the .54 calaiber 300 grain Lee R.E.A.L. bullet - which is pretty short - would give you the best chance for a accurate conical out of a 1 in 60" barrel.

Edit: Just measured one. They're 0.615 long. http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1198113974.2260=/html/catalog/blackpow.html
Old 12-19-2007, 07:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Semisane, has it right REAL bullets will shoot out of a wide range of twist they shoot out of my underhammer which has a 1-56 twist. Lee