Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 cost to start shooting >

cost to start shooting

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cost to start shooting

Old 12-19-2007, 05:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default cost to start shooting

OK i know what a good muzzle loader will cost me

how much will it cost me to get all the stuff i need to shoot it

the cleaning supply's
any tools to load and clean
primers
prodex pellets
or powder
and any i need to start using muzzleloader

also i have seen alot of kits that have a gun usually cva with the cleaning stuff bullets everything but powder and primers

are these kits a good buy i thought about getting a Kit and then some good bullets the powder and primers or should i buy a gun and then buy all the other little things is it cost effective also are the kits done up with good stuff i do not mean paying more money for better stuff
Old 12-19-2007, 05:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: cost to start shooting

bigtim6656

It would by thing only - but I would not by one of the "kits." The materials that you might need to service your ML are not that expensive, but they will add up... I think Cayugad has a pretty good list of starting supplies... if he does not pick up on this PM and ask him for a possible list.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

if you start shooting a mz and like it; cost an arm and a leg!
Old 12-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Black powder rifle supplies

DECIDE ON THE KIND OF POWDER

Pyrodex RS (I'd start with this powder personally)
Triple Se7en
Goex
Black Mag3
American Pioneer Powder
Jug powder pour spout to fit the powder can you select
loose powder only for your rifle

Or you can shoot pellets if you have a 209 igntion or a rifle made to shoot them.

TOOLS NEEDED

See through powder measure
Cleaning/loading jag
Bore guide (not essential)
Cleaning mop
Patch worm
Bore brush
Short starter- wooden ball type suggested
Capper/de-capper
Nipple pick

CLEANING SUPPLIES

Isopropyl alcohol 91%
Car windshield washer fluid
Bore butter or lube for conical bullets
Gun Oil – Birchwood Casey Sheath, REM OIL, Breakfree CLP
Q-tip safety swabs
Cleaning Patches
A range rod is real nice as you will come to learn

Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber

PROJECTILES

Conicals
Roundball and patch
sabots
bulk bullets

A lot of this you might have around the house. Some of it is not necessary depending on what rifle you shoot or the projectile you shoot... That should get you started.. and I probably forgot something.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

OK i know what a good muzzle loader will cost me

how much will it cost me to get all the stuff i need to shoot it

the cleaning supply's
any tools to load and clean
primers
prodex pellets
or powder
and any i need to start using muzzleloader

also i have seen alot of kits that have a gun usually cva with the cleaning stuff bullets everything but powder and primers

are these kits a good buy i thought about getting a Kit and then some good bullets the powder and primers or should i buy a gun and then buy all the other little things is it cost effective also are the kits done up with good stuff i do not mean paying more money for better stuff
You need to budget $100 for supplies. Powder is about $27 for a bottle of 777. Solvent is $8. Cleaning jag about $5. Patches are about $15/500 of the 2" size. Powder measure is about $10. So as you can see, this is about $50 already and I didn't buy everything on Cayugad's list. You can buy a lot of stuff now on sale at Wal-Mart if they are not sold out of it. Usually goes real fast. Bullet are expensive $1/each. If your concerned about cost, then use Speer Gold Dot 300g, they are $16 per box of 50 from MidSouth Shooter's supply:

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000213974

some bulk sabots:

Crushed rib for $5:
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00072H15045BR

MMP12s for $7:
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0021150045HPH

There ya go. Chap Gleason

Old 12-19-2007, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

If you have absolutely nothing, the kit may be something to consider (if you can find it with a gun you like). My knight wolverine came with saboted bullets, capper, powder measure, ez-loader, nipple remover, breech plug remover and maybe a few cleaning supplies, really can't remember. Add it all up and see if you come out ahead. Let us know what you decide on. Good luck, Greg
Old 12-19-2007, 07:56 PM
Dominant Buck

I never felt the kits were a good deal. The rifle normally comes with a breech removal tool, capper/decapper for the 209 primers, often times a small tube of breech plug grease (T/C), and ten projectiles to try. When you start looking at the added cost of the starter kit, your paying a lot of a better capper, a short starter, and some cleaning supplies.

Right now many department stores are selling the things you need to outfit yourselves. At our Wal Mart, Pyrodex RS has dropped down to $10.00 a pound. When it hits $8.00 I will buy them out. A capper which normally was $7.95 was $2.00 and a short starter was $4.00. A new ramrod was $4.00 (I did not need it but bought it anyway). And there were lots of reductions in price on some projectiles. When they get a little lower, I will buy them out as well if there are any left. That is how you can really save some money for getting yourself started in this sport. The problem is the more you shoot the more you feel the need for more rifle, more bullets, different powders, and other things... Pretty soon you have a room devoted to black powder supplies...