HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - can I throw more lead?
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2007, 12:34 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: can I throw more lead?

ORIGINAL: Texasimport

I have a .54 lyman 1/60 that shoots balls pretty good. . . .took a nice cow elk this fall using 90Gr 777 and a patched ball. Wondering now about next season and if I can expect any accuracy using some heavier miniballs. If so give me a few choices.
With the 1-60 twist, I would stick with what works...Minnie ball never shot good for me. If you like Minnie ball, I have a .54 caliber mold to make them. Inever make them because they shoot so terrible, but I have the mold. I also have one in .50 caliber and do not find them all that great of a projectile. While weight wise they might be big players, their accuracy stinks. And I have tried shooting them out of a lot of different rifles.

If you want to start shooting the maxiball or other conicals, pick yourself up a .50 caliber 1-32 twist barrel and put that on the rifle. You must be shooting the Lyman Great Plains Rifle now, so a simple Great Plains Hunter barrel would put you in business. They are not all that expensive and it would open a lot of different avenues for you. Also go with the .50 caliber as there is a better selection of projectiles and a .50 caliber conical is bad medicine on what every you want to shoot. In fact I almost have myself talked into a flintlock in Great Plains just what you have but with both barrels.