Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Peep Sites

Old 12-18-2007, 07:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Peep Sites

Hey Mikepsu. The only adjustment options you have with my LOL Sight are (1) changing the front sight height to move the point of impact up or down, and (2) making an extra rear sight "nut" with the mounting hole drilled a little off center to adjust windage. That's OK for my purposes with the Zouave. I'll be shooting only patched round balls with one load of powder (still working on the most accurate load). Once I decide what load I'll be shooting I'll fix the sight to match that loadfor dead on at 100 yards,and stick with the selected load. One option for windage would be to weld or solder the "nut" to a dovetail base that could be drifted right or left.

I have a newGreat Plains .54 flintlock that I haven't even shot yet (Merry Christmas To Me). I'm modifying the adjustable rear sight in somewhat the same way as the Zouave sight, but it will be a lot more streamlined and will be able to use the elevation adjustment feature of the factory sight. I'm replacing the sight notch part of the factory sightwith a 3/8" modified nut that will take three different apertures. I'll post results when I've got it done, and have had a chance to try it out. That won't likely be until after hunting season (ends 28 Jan 08).

The big difference between my set-up and a true aperture sight is that mine is located forward on the barrel where a regular iron sight would be, whereas a true aperture sight is typically mounted on the tang close to the eye. I'm sure mine loses something with respect to accuracy potential. But, for a muzzle loader, I like its looks.

Try this to see if you like it. Take a 1/2" by 3" piece of cardboard and punch a 1/4" hole near one end. Bend in into an "L" and tape it to your barrel near the iron sight so that the hole is just above the sight. Shoulder the gun andtake a sight picture through it. If your eyes are like mine, you will be able to see the front sight much better, and will automatically center the top of the front sight in the hole. Take it outside at dusk and take a sight picture on something fifty yards away - then rip it off and do the same with your regular sight. You'll be surprised at the difference.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

the one at cabelas make you drill and tap a hole. is this easy. I also dont want to put a hole in my gun if i dont like it. DO you think i could shoot it with the one screw in and it still be accurate. I would have to be very careful i guwss
Old 12-19-2007, 10:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

I too have some trouble with my iron sights on my sidelocks but I came up with a solution that really helps and is cheap and use it on all mine except the one with the fiber optic sights.
What I did was lightly file the front brass bead and applied a couple of light coats of my wife's white finger nail polish. On the rear sight, I degreased it and masked a narrow line (about 1/32") at the back of the sight in the center of the U notch and put the polish on.
I simply set the bead on top of that line. Works great in low light too.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Typical Buck

Wabi is correct. Look thru the rear aperture and put the front bead on the target and press the trigger. Much more accurate because one can not line up two objects at once no less three.

I have a Lyman Peep on my Lyman Deerstalker and it is plenty accurate and easy to use.