Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 anyone own a Lyman mustang? >

anyone own a Lyman mustang?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

anyone own a Lyman mustang?

Old 12-19-2007, 01:51 PM
Spike

Default anyone own a Lyman mustang?

I did a search on this semi-new muzzleloader and didn't find much. It looks like it's got all the nice features and it looks good too. I haven't seen one in person. It says in the ad for them that it has an "ultra grain wood finish". I can't tell from the pictures, does it have a false wood grain finish over regular wood, or is the wood actually that nice?
Old 12-19-2007, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: anyone own a Lyman mustang?

I posted a similar post about this gun a couple monthes or so back. It is real wood grain, it looks nice, but there are better shooters out that than this. If you want long range accuracy, this is probably not the gun you want. I ended up buying an Optima Pro mostly because I got a great deal on it. It's a great shooting gun.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: anyone own a Lyman mustang?

I have a Mustang edelsite. The "ultra grain" is a finish applied over real wood - probably a straight grain beech which you can see on the inside of the fore end when you remove it, and under the recoil pad when you take it off. It's a nice looking finish that gives the apperance of fancy french walnut. I assume it's applied with some kind of acrylic dip process in the same manner many camo finishes are applied. It seems the be very durable. I've had mine about ayear and it has seen lots of range and field use. No chips or scratches or wear spots so far. Most people looking at the gun think it is fancy walnut.

Mygun is a good utility & hunting shooter and will shoot a very wide range of bullets and powder charges into three inches at 100 yards - but it's no target rifle. My absolute best groups so far have been 1 & 1/2 inch 100 yard groups (from a bench with good rests and a 3 X 9 Leupold scope). I like the gun a lot, especially the hammerless design, sliding tang safety, and top lever break open action.