Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Peep Sites

Old 12-17-2007, 10:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default Peep Sites

I am thinking about using a peep sight for my firestorm. Will this increase my accuracy, I am terrible with the fiber optic V sights. Has anyone used a peep sight on their muzzleloader. I shoot good at the range you continually have to think of how much of the sight should i take? HElp
Old 12-17-2007, 11:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Peep Sites

I'm a firm believer in aperture sights - I just can't see a v-notch or u-notch or buckhorn rear sight. Even the fiber optic ones give me fits.

I recently built my own aperture sight for a .58 Zouave in such a way that I can re-install the original rear sight any time I want. Take a look at http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2431005&mpage=1&key=&#243103 1

After using this homemade sight, I won't even consider going back to a notch type rear sight. I have a new .54 Great Plains flint lock that I haven't shot yet. I'm in the process of modifying the adjustable factory rear sight to something like the one I made for the Zouave (however, it will be much sleeker and will take advantage of the adjustable feature of the factory sight). The first range session will be with a peep.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a peep on my Lyman GPH and it does help in the accuracy dept. I wear bi-focals and have a hard time seeing the regular open sights. With the peep on the rear and a hooded front site I can shoot about as well as I can with a scope. In fact the best 3 shot group I have ever shot with any gun was with that gun, .28" at 75 yards. Depending on where I hunt this next year I may consider putting a peep on my inline at some point.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mikepsu54

I am thinking about using a peep sight for my firestorm. Will this increase my accuracy, I am terrible with the fiber optic V sights. Has anyone used a peep sight on their muzzleloader. I shoot good at the range you continually have to think of how much of the sight should i take? HElp
I know what ya mean on the fiber optic V sights, the back sight you see double. I corrected tha by buying this sight from RMC Sports. Chap Gleason

Old 12-18-2007, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Aperture "peep" sights are very good, but it takes some getting used to if you're not familiar with them. Most people who have used front/rear open sights have a tendancy to want to see the aperture and center the front sight in it - WRONG! Simply look through the aperture and concentrate on the front sight and targey only. Forget the rear sight and you will shoot very accurately - try to align the front sight in the "hole" your looking through and you will have accuracy problems!
Old 12-18-2007, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use one on my T/C Renegade. It's T/C's peep that they sell for the gun, but I bored out the aperture so it's easier to use in low light. Peeps are superior sights for relatively close range shots at moving targets in the woods.

Yes, just focus on the front sight. Put your bead where you want a hole made and squeeze.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

In answer to the question will it increase my accuracy. We can not know how wel you shootbut it has the potential to increase accuracy noticably. Thats why every benchrest shooter in a class that allows iron sights only will be using one. Lee
Old 12-18-2007, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

Can you adjust them like normal open sight like up and down left and right, or dont they need to be adjusted.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

SEMISANE..I commend you that looks pretty slick and good..THe price is also the nicest thing...But can you adjust them or dont you need too. I have 50 dollars for cabelas and i was thinking about buying one. Their around 50 bucks. But i really like your design because you can change peep size. I dont mind spending the money if i have too i just dont want to waste it if i can make it for 5 bucks and it will have the same effect. I think the one at cabelas adjust? HELP???
Old 12-18-2007, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO it will dramatically increase your accuracy. I am not sure how people even shoot the fiber optic sights?? Too bright for me. Peep sights are fully adjustable. Also pay close attention to your front sight. I prefer a small white bead. You will find out that all you need to do is focus on the front sight and the target, your eye will line up the rear aperature almost automatically. Get the larger "Hunter's peep" rear aperture for hunting. Tom.

Quick Reply: Peep Sites

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.