). I need some advice on getting (or a shoulder to cry on). last year: 3 misses..." />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 suggestion for late season deer hunting >

suggestion for late season deer hunting

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

suggestion for late season deer hunting

Old 12-08-2007, 11:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: suggestion for late season deer hunting

you think a vital target help me any? been thanking of getting some, just have not broke down and got them.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:28 PM

[blockquote]It may help you..But I think you probably already know where to
aim..What are you shooting anyway..Does it have open sights
or are you using a scope..We have to have al the details in
order to figure out what is going on here..
[/blockquote]
Old 12-08-2007, 11:30 PM

We will talk more tomorrow,I am going to bed now..Good night all...
Old 12-08-2007, 11:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have not taken a shot at a deer with a ML yet. the 3 misses last year where with my savage 30-06 (refloated the barrel and need new scope mounts), this years miss with my sks (all shooter).

but my ML is scoped no open sites they where taken off before I got it.

only thing about all 3 guns, they have tascos (changing all 3 next year for better scopes total of $600).
Old 12-09-2007, 12:40 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

"Aim small, miss small." said Mel Gibson in the Patriot, I recommend you do that, oh hunt were there is deer!! Chap Gleason
Yes.. Pick a spot on the deer. Don't shoot at the deer, but at the spot. I love that saying by the way. So true for hunting. FYI... If you use a scope, zoom it all the way to the max. You will often times have no choice but to pick a spot on the deer. If you don't use a scope, maybe consider it and practice with it. The secret behind using a scope is to keep both eyes open... never take your eyes off the target/deer and lift the gun to your eyes. A huge mistake many people make is to take your eye off the target... then look through the scope and try to find the deer. Focus on the deer(actually focus on the spot where you want to hit), never take your eye off the target, and you should be able to raise the scope sight to the target without ever leaving your target.

If it doesn't work right away. Practice doing this at home. Make sure your gun is unloaded... fix-ate on an object, and then raise your gun and try to bring your scope to the target without ever refocusing. Keep both eyes open. If you have to shoot with 1 eye cloesed, do it only after you find the target. Remember. Shooting with 1 eye closed reduces light by at least 50% so if light conditions, it will be 50% worse with only 1 eye open. Learn to shoot with both eyes opn IMO.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:32 AM
Fork Horn

Corey,

Think like and act like a cat! Cats are the worlds best and deadliest hunters. Just watch a cat on the hunt sometime and think to yourself; Could I hunt like that? With the stealth, concentration and precise timing that they do. It's a great analogy to think like a cat.

Second thing is to shoot, shoot some more and then keep shooting some more until you know your rifle and what you can do with it. Once your bench testing is done and your load components are finalized don't shoot from the bench anymore; it's a really bad habit of getting used shooting from a bench. It gives you a nice warm fuzzy feeling that you can knock bulls eyes out from the bench but really has nothing to do at all with hunting.

I shoot from various field positions whenever I practice and use the bench for holding my stuff only. Learn to shoot well from all types of positions and shoot enough to know what shots you can pull off and what ones you can't. I would say that at least 50% of your shooting should be done from a standing offhand position if you truly want to be a great shot. Shooting from one knee is a shot that I really like and is used whenever a support is not available (very cat like). Shooting from both knees in a sitting position is even better yet especially if your back is up against a tree or something. Learn to shoot from the side of a tree with the stock cushioned by the web of your hand is almost as good as the bench. Set up your ground stands so you have things around you to rest from; set your treestands up in multi-leadered trees that will provide rests to shoot from if you can. Get away from that bench and learn to truly shoot; it's work and your mind will rebel for a while but do it. Work on your mindset as well; you really have to want to hunt to concentrate. As far as shot placement goes I am a believer in the breaking bones type shot over the heart/lung shot unless recovery is not an issue. Most of the places I hunt are very thick and I want to stop them in their tracks. A heavy bullet and a little high on the shoulder is my favorite shot; I want to break shoulder bones if I can.

Another thing is what I call hunting outside of hunting season. Today is Sunday but I am going out to check out a new area of swamplands to get ready for the upcoming flintlock season after Christmas. I take a walking stick; it slows you down, and scout out an area until I know it well. Learn were they bed, where they feed, where they travel to, were the oaks are, where the apple trees are , where the water is, where the crop fields are; you get the idea. Some people like meat and some like antlers; I am of the meat hunter variety and don't even shoot a buck unless it's a very large antlered buck. I pass on anything that isn't in the 120 or better range. PA restricts us to 4 points per side for bucks in my County. If I only have a buck tag many years I don't even get a shot at a decent buck. Inour flintlock season the buck tag can be used for does as well so the freezer is generally filled at some point.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:01 AM

[blockquote]I don't know what more anyone can tell you at this point....Is that Savage shootin good off the bench for ya? I mean are you getting like a 1 to 1 1/2
inch groups at 100 yards...You mention having to refloat the barrel..
I know from past experence that some Savage rifles want a pressure point at the fore-end...So if you aint doing to good off the bench,you might be getting too much barrel whip...Good luck and hang in there man....J
[/blockquote]
Old 12-09-2007, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

If he's shooting 1.5" groups at 100 yards, then it's not the rifle's fault that he's missing shots at deer, unless he's shooting at 400+ yards. I think that either you're getting nervous or excited and jerking the trigger, or maybe you have an undiagnosed flinch that becomes exaggerated under field shooting conditions, or you're just picking bad shots with interveneing cover. There really is no such thing as a "brush busting" rifle. If a bullet hits ANYTHING enroute to the target, unless the deer is standing right behind the cover, the bullet will be deflected or destabilized, which will result in a miss almost every time. The problem is that through a scope you may not see the branch that it'll hit. I had that happen to me a couple years back. 75 yards shot on a nice doe across a small creek bed with sparse trees. I thought I had a gap between two trees, and took what should have been a sure shot with my Savage 10ML. After the shot the doe just stood there for a moment like nothing happened, then her tail went up and she was gone. I couldn't believe that I missed, until I noticed a very small branch broken and dangling right on the bullets path. Bullet clipped the branch and went who knows where. It happens.

Mike

Old 12-09-2007, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

My rifle season is over for this year, I will be working on the savage this coming year. the stock need to refloat the barrel and I need to get read of the damn kwek see-thru mounts.

I am going to the range tomarrow, going to only fire 10 charges of the current load, 5 with a defferent sabot, and 5 off the wall test. I have 3 extra charge I may shot something I have in my box.

I may take my ruger 96/22 and my sks for a little plinking