). I need some advice on getting (or a shoulder to cry on). last year: 3 misses..." />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 suggestion for late season deer hunting >

suggestion for late season deer hunting

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

suggestion for late season deer hunting

Old 12-08-2007, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default suggestion for late season deer hunting

This is my first late ML season. I am still looking for my first ever deer. after the last 2 years of hunting, with nothing but freezes and misses and missed chances (duh). I need some advice on getting (or a shoulder to cry on).

last year:
3 misses at 75 to 100 yrds proud to say due to the gun (need to refloat the barrel and new scope mounts)

1 miss this year (shooter foult)

3 I did not pull the trigger (uncomfy with the shot or being nice to someone esle)

this seasons I have seen 22 + deer, I am going the place that I have seen the most deer at and found a new place.

Thanks for any help or a kick in the pants [8D]
Old 12-08-2007, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: suggestion for late season deer hunting

Aim for that little piece of hair right behind the shoulder. Then squeeze the trigger and quit beng so nice. lol
Old 12-08-2007, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntAway

Aim for that little piece of hair right behind the shoulder. Then squeeze the trigger and quit beng so nice. lol
"Aim small, miss small." said Mel Gibson in the Patriot, I recommend you do that, oh hunt were there is deer!! Chap Gleason
Old 12-08-2007, 07:24 PM
Dominant Buck

corey the one thing I learned over the years shooting at deer is.. stay calm. Whether you fall apart after the deer drops is one thing, I've know people that after they shot, they could not walk to the deer. Still, you have to concentrate on what you are doing. I think more people miss their shots simply from over excitement and lack of concentration. If you concentrate through your shot, you have good breath control, and your rifle is accurate, you will hit and score on game.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

corey: I don't know if you use shooting sticks or not, but if you sit in a blind or even by a tree, try to have at least a stick handy to steady the front end of your gun. I sat in a blind for hours this season, andby the timea deer slowly worked its way into view so I could finally see antlers, my arms were tired from holding the rifle up looking through the scope (looking for antlers). I made the shot, but it dawned on me later that I could have easily picked up a forked stick on the way to my stand and used it for a support to make that shot easier.
Even a stick without a fork can be used by grasping the forearm and the stick together with the end on the ground.

Good Luck

Old 12-08-2007, 08:02 PM

Like some of the other answers,try using a stick for a steady rest..Or maybe you just aren't seeing the sights as well as you should be..I always told my boys to just imagine a target being on the deer or whatever and aim for the bulls eye...Maybe try more target practice..Just a thought...
Old 12-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have some shoot stick, I made some out of bambo, a short pair and a tall pair, the one I missed this year, I had the short pair and ran into 7 deer while walking to my spot, had the wrong pair [&:]. and I didnot aim low enough.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't go out with the attitude -"I have to kill a deer!"
Go out to have fun and enjoy just being out. The more pressure you put on yourself the harder it becomes to make a successful shot.
I do a lot of bowhunting (mostly crossbow for deer) and I like to do a lot of pre-season scouting and viewing deer. I find after I've seen a lot of deer up close I'm a lot more calm & relaxed be the time season actually opens.
I also make it a habit of practicing (during season)getting into shooting position and sighting at deer I don't plan to shoot (small does or bucks, and even fawns)- viewing them through the scope and just mentally making a shot (I think of it as "countin coup" on them) then letting them walk. When one finally comes along I really want to shoot I'm a lot more relaxed and put more concentration into making a good shot rather than getting excited because I've got one in view through the scope.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am getting nervise again, lol

I had 3 weeks of hunting, got upset because I had chances, lost setup spots (my bother in law and nephew set up 50 yrds right behind a spot I scouted for 3 months and I would of been right in their line of fire and 25 yrds from where I shot and missed a deer the day before [:@]), and just had bad luck my guns and ammo. I am in the middle of a two week break, start back up on the 15th. I think I need the break down, I am not going to be able to get the range but one day before the season starts.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:10 PM

I have never understood this thing about buck fever...My son gets it bad
man he shakes all over,lol...I was told by a friend of mine that it is time
to quit hunting if there is no excitement in it..Bull is all I have to say..

Anyway,just take your time,but not too long now..Get your sights lined up
befor squezzing that trigger..You will get it down pat after a bit...Keep
at it..

Quick Reply: suggestion for late season deer hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.