Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 2nd or Late Season Deer rut? >

2nd or Late Season Deer rut?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2nd or Late Season Deer rut?

Old 12-07-2006, 08:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default 2nd or Late Season Deer rut?

I was talking to a guy that works for the DNR, and i was tellin him how i was going to be going up bow hunting for the late season rut or the 2nd rut as some books put it. I was wondering if any wisonsiners can help me i want to know if there is or not, and when it might happen if there is?
Old 12-07-2006, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 2nd or Late Season Deer rut?

There has already been several posts on this topic, but it depends on wher e you are hunting and the buck to doe ratio. From what i understand, there tends to be what we refer to as a "second rut" whent there is an overpopulation of does and they dont all get bread the first time around. If they dont get bread then they will come into heat a second time. Also, some yearling does might not come into heat until later in the year. The best way to find out if/when you might have a second rut is to be in the tree stand.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:08 AM

Default RE: 2nd or Late Season Deer rut?

I raised at least 100 deer for scent and the unbred does came in to heat every 28 days for 5 cycles in to march .I'll let you know ,I am leaving for Ill. friday the 8th for one week in a tree .