Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

late season deer hunting

Old 11-27-2008, 10:23 AM

Default late season deer hunting

Im gonna be muzzeloader hunting threw the month of december. Anyone have any tip for hunting around that time of the year? Im going to be hunting river bottom land,and corn and alfalfa fields.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: late season deer hunting

Bowhunting or muzzleloading hunting in late season is probably my favorite time to hunt. By that time most hunters are already out of the woods,rut is out so you can pattern the deer,they are less nocturnal,and food sources are less in number. I like to hunt back in woods between bedding area and food sources. I usually like to stay 100-500 yards back in from food sources in case the deer(especially big bucks) "stage" back away from food until close to dark. Good luck!
Old 11-27-2008, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would just lay in the prone position about half way down the field, on the opposite side of any game trails. That way you'll have view of the entire field and you'll be able to take a shot no matter which end a deer is on.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pattern them. I might be bow hunting around that time too.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

i was wondering this my self.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

Hunt food sources, find the trails leading to them and set up on the trails. If you are after a big buck, stay further back from the food source and closer to his bedding area, but if you are just after meat, hunting closer to the food source is better. Dont forget to lightly rattle a little bit too and even the occasional doe in estruse bleat.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

In late season hunting,unless the "late rut" is in,all you're going to do by using doe in estrous bleating or doe in estrous pee is going scare them away. Anytime you use something like that out of the actual rut is simply educating them-especially the big bucks that have been around. It MIGHT work 1/4 of the time or less. I've found that using a fawn in distress call instantly turns on the maternal instincts and calls the does in quite a bit of the time,and it works any time-wether the does have ever dropped fawns or not. This is also a useful call to try and relax does that busted you a little but only by sound or sight-once they smell you,game over. I've even had does to come back in a BUNCH of times under these conditions.
Another thing to remember is once you invade a big buck's bedroom,you'd better get him before he realizes you're there,otherwise you've just succeded in making him totally change bedding areas. That's why I don't like to hunt bedding areas because most of the time,all you'll do is push him to another area. Big bucks almost act like a different species. Naturally I'm mostly talking about bowhunting only as when hunting with high power rifle or muzzleloader,you'll be able to get by with more simply due to the longer range they offer and because you don't have to pattern them near as close to be successful.

ORIGINAL: The Outdoorsman
Hunt food sources, find the trails leading to them and set up on the trails. If you are after a big buck, stay further back from the food source and closer to his bedding area, but if you are just after meat, hunting closer to the food source is better. Dont forget to lightly rattle a little bit too and even the occasional doe in estruse bleat.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Typical Buck

While I do agree with what you said, Im not saying to sit ontop of his bedroom, I mentioned being closer to it as he will stay there until he feels safe to roam towards the food source. Staying closer will give you enough time to possibly see him before shooting light goes away and your getting down and he is on his way and then spooks. As for the doe in estrus, use it occasionally, bucks are still looking for hot does, and they do run a second estrous cycle. Its something I would use more if I saw a buck out of range to try and bring him in more than just blindly calling. Then again, he never said if he is meat hunting or trophy hunting.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:39 PM

Im neither trophy hunting or meat hunting,im just after a decent buck,i already got meat during rifle season