Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 New Englander 12 gauge >

New Englander 12 gauge

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Englander 12 gauge

Old 10-20-2007, 07:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: New Englander 12 gauge

I was very pleased with the fiber wad loads. The plastic shot cup was a different story. I would be more then willing to let fly with that fiber wad load at a grouse. It worked on that red squirrel just fine. His head and body was covered in shot. In fact he was just going over a log on the ground when I hit him. Then the dog of course had to go over there and make a big thing out of bringing him back. That old dog of mine can only walk anymore, I think he's either deaf or learned to ignore me over the years, but he likes to retreive. He really thought that was cool bringing that red squirrel back to me.

Like I said, a lot more testing to try. I want to cut down some of the plastic shot cups and see if they work as a over the powder card, then a fiber wad on top of that, then shot, then an over the shot card. Like I said, it is fun trying out different things.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Englander 12 gauge

I might mention that I have made fiber wads for cushion wads by taking tow (flax fibers) and waxing it with bore butter (actually my home-made version of beeswax & neetsfoot oil). Cut & roll it into marble sized balls. When you load put the powder - a card wad - the waxed tow ball - then tamp with the ramrod. The follow with powder & another card wad. If you load this way, then pull a load with a CO2 discharger you will find the waxed tow has formed a cushion wad about 3/8" thick.
BTW - I think I bought the tow from Log Cabin Shop.
http://www.logcabinonline.com/item85720.html