Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 New Englander 12 gauge >

New Englander 12 gauge

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Englander 12 gauge

Old 10-20-2007, 04:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Default New Englander 12 gauge

I finally got a chance to pattern the Thompson Center New Englander 12 gauge barrel today. It was kind of fun actually. I started out with 80 grains of Pyrodex RS and a plastic wad and then 90 grains (1-1/4 ounce) of #5 shot. I was using CCI Magnum as caps. The right hand side of the page marked Goex 2f was actually Pyrodex. My mistake when I labelled them.

It was clear here that the shotgun did not like the plastic shot cup but the fiber over the powder wad, then the fiber wad, the shot, and then the over the powder shot card did real well....

On this testing I used Goex 2f, and the fiber wads and cards.. I tried 80 & 70 grains. Both of them threw good patterns. I then tested plastic and fiber wads with lots of different powders, and different amounts of powder. The Goex 2f and 70-80 grains of powder did the best job overall.

I then took a walk in the woods with the dog. I was hoping to jump a grouse but only saw a red squirrel running through the woods. So I let him have it. The shotgun rolled him perfect. It was 22 yards according to the laser range finder.

I thought about hunting more, or shooting my White Bison that was scoped and decided that I wanted to test more loads with the shotgun, so I would shoot the Bison for the rest of the afternoon. Always another day for the grouse and squirrels.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Englander 12 gauge

Looks like you're getting good patterns out of that barrel. You're going to be hooked!
Have you got a .690 RB mould? That will be next.
I find my NE barrel likes loads with just card wads between the powder & shot. I cutwads out of old shoe boxes & milk cartons and load 2 over the powder & 1 over the shot.
Fun to play around with loads in it, and it's a lot easier to clean than a rifled barrel.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

Dave
I use aa 1oz wads with equal wt of pwd and shot with a felt wad first and as an over card wad in my cva. These loads pattern well. I use cardboad wad with heaver loads 1 1/4 equal pwd and shot with full choke tube. Light load is with improved cylinder. No shots over 30 yds good patterns. I have a 662 rb that will work in aa wads also good to 30 yds not good accuracy
Old 10-20-2007, 07:01 PM
Spike

I had the same experience with the plastic cups, I get the best pattern from 70 gr 2F, two over powder wads, shot, over shot wad.
If your NE is choked I find the PRIMOS tightwad choke is a great turkey choke.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:04 PM

Cayugad, I used an old screw out choke, forgot which brand, the cheaper the better, and used it as a dye to cut over shot cards from old shoeboxes. I had to sharpen it a little, but I could cut a hundred in no time. They fit snug. It'll save ya some money. I bought the turkey choke to use in the new englander barrel but mypatterns were just as good or better w/ the improved cylinder choke that came with the barrel. So my turkey choke became a wad cutting dye. Kevin
Old 10-20-2007, 07:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Well I specifically ordered it with the full choke. And I was surprised that the felt wads shot a tighter pattern then the shot cup. I still have a lot of playing around to do. I also discovered that if you swab between shots, the pattern is tighter.

I also discovered that the over the powder, and the felt shot buffer will not load through the choke. I specifically asked Fox Ridge Outfitters, "Do you have to remove the choke in order to load the shotgun?" They told me No you do not. Well they must shoot them with a plastic shot cup. I can load that with out removing the choke.

Also recoil is not all that bad.I was surprised. I will try some of the other things you all mentioned. This is a lot of fun to play with. My goal is a 30+ yard turkey load.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:33 PM

I ordered the 12 ga felt wads (dry) from the Possibles Shop out of Radium Springs New Mexico. While patterning, I tried various combinations. My best, 80 grains Trip 7 FFg over SHOT card, 2 dry felt wads, 90 grains (volumetrically) #5 shot. At 30 yards I was sifting a turkeyhead target, w/ improved cylinder choke.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:37 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Kevinbrian

I ordered the 12 ga felt wads (dry) from the Possibles Shop out of Radium Springs New Mexico. While patterning, I tried various combinations. My best, 80 grains Trip 7 FFg over SHOT card, 2 dry felt wads, 90 grains (volumetrically) #5 shot. At 30 yards I was sifting a turkeyhead target, w/ improved cylinder choke.
I will give that a try the next time out. Thanks. So you are loading 80 grains of T-7 2f, then a over the powder wad, or two over the shot cards, then two of the dry felt wads, and then the 90 grains of shot, and then another over the shot card? Does that sound right?
Old 10-20-2007, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

Next you will be puting in a rifled choke tube and big 69 RB's
Old 10-20-2007, 07:48 PM

No I don't use the over powder cards. Here was my sequence: powder, 1 overshot, 2 dry felt, shot, 1 overshot. As you've probably already noticed about loading overshot cards, pressure builds underneath while ramming down the barrel. I simply nicked each card with a single edge razor. Problem solved. Some folks prick the card with ice pick or other sharp, pointed object.
By the way Cayugad, those are some great patterns you got there!!! Looks to be more consistent than mine. You may have the winning combo. But load developing is where the fun is!!

Quick Reply: New Englander 12 gauge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.