Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Range & Bullet Report for Omega Z5 >

Range & Bullet Report for Omega Z5

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Range & Bullet Report for Omega Z5

Old 10-20-2007, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Range & Bullet Report for Omega Z5

Hi everyone,
I finally made it to the range and got my Omega sighted in. I was shooting with 2 - 50gr 777 pellets. The 300gr XTP Mags were all over the place and had to be seated using a block of wood and hammer!!! No good as far as I'm concerned. At least for my gun. Could not get them to group with that load. The Powerbelts were okay. The best shooters with 100gr of pellets were the TC Superglide 300gr shockwaves. 1st shot was a bullseye. second right beside it. 3rd - right through one of the first 2 holes!!I was amazed at the accuracy of the shockwaves. 4th shot was a 270 or 280 gr Powerbelt Platinum. It shot a little to the right. All shots in photo where taken at 100 yards. I know for sure the Shockwaves are the ticket for my gun. I could use the Powerbelts in a pinch. Just wanted to post and let you all know. Thanks for the help!! P.S. The holes you see all over the place are from the XTP's!! After the gun was sighted in. They may work with a lighter load. However I plan on using the 777 pellets.

chris
Old 10-20-2007, 09:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Range & Bullet Report for Omega Z5

Buckhunter46755

The 300gr XTP Mags were all over the place and had to be seated using a block of wood and hammer!!!
That is not right... did you purchase a pack of them? Probably Hornady... If you did they came with the HPH-12 which is to thick.

Your new barrel is still really tight after you shootit a bit it will also loosen a bit. Cayugad has a JB bore paste treatment that will really help smooth and polish that new barrel get him to explain the procedure.

In the meantime you may want to get some MMP HPH-3p-EZ load sabots from MMP or some Harvester 'crush rib' sabots to shoot those XTP's in they will shoot very well from you gun.

A better choice, in my mind, would be to buy a box of Spreer Gold Dots.. these bullets are bonded and are really tough. My choice for deer would be the .452/250 grain Gold Dot. You can find these in the reloading section and then get a pack of either MMP HPH-24's or a pack of TC Sabots... they both should should be black sabots in color. If these are to tight you will need to move down to the thinner 3p's or crush ribs.

Shock Waves are way to expensive to be shooting paper with.

Good luck - but your gun will dial in great with time...
Old 10-20-2007, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yea I know they are expensive. I had a few left over from last year I was using in my Traditions. I'm going to buy another pack for hunting this year. And yes, I bought the XTP's in a pack. That's what I told my dad. The sabots where too thick. Since I'm sighted already with the Shockwaves, that's what I'll use this year. Then I'll try and get the bullet / sabot combo right and try out the XTP's in the spring. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

chris
Old 10-20-2007, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck - but your gun will dial in great with time...
I don't see how much more it can dial in.... when I'm putting one shot through the hole of the previous one at 100 yards....

chris
Old 10-20-2007, 12:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Buckhunter46755

I am backpedling now....

Sorry about that - that was a poor use of terms on my part.... I was trying to suggest that your gun will shoot anything accurately in time... after break in - andI may have made another mistake thinking that this was a new gun.

It did take me awhile to get my Omega to where I wanted it - it was good out of the box but not as good as it is now...

Here is an early target from my Omega... I was experimenting with .458 (45/70) bullets - thought I might like them because they are/were real rifle bullets...

Old 10-20-2007, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

You were correct... it is a new gun. And you are right about the Hornady's, they came in a pack. (From Walmart)
I'll do dome moreexperimenting in the spring with some different load/bullet/sabot combos. I'm pretty happy where it is right now shooting the Shockwaves. You are right... they're kinda expensive. Thanks again for the input.

chris