Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Omega Range Report >

Omega Range Report

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega Range Report

Old 11-15-2008, 10:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default Omega Range Report

Went to the range yesterday (Saturday) to sight in my Omega for IL's firearm opener next weekend. I finally ran out of my 300 grain bonded SWs with the black sabots and broke out the 300 grain SWs with the E-Z Glide sabots. They picked up where the others left off as far as accuracy goes. I alternatedbetween (2) .50 Pyrodex pellets and 100 grains loose RS and they are basically interchangeable as far as hunting accuracy goes out to 100 yards. I pulled a page out of saxman's book and used an old camera tripod and the v from my monopod. This worked pretty well. I just sat on a dove stool and fired away. Not quite as stable as my Caldwellrest so the groups were not as good but plenty good for hunting. I recovered three of my yellow E-Z glide sabots and found that one of the two petals was missing on all of them. Is this normal? I know the black sabots just peel back but all petals stay attached. I am not too concerned with it because the accuracy was fine. Also, I mixed in some 210 grain .429 Gold Dots with the green crush rib sabots and they have definite potential for small game someday. Can't wait until next weekend!
Old 11-16-2008, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Omega Range Report

cherokee75
Yes, some sabots tend to loose petals, dont worry about it as long as the groups are ok. Lee
Old 11-16-2008, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Omega Range Report

I've found some sabots tend to shed their petals (PR Dead Centers for me) and some don't (Harvestor sabots). I haven't seen it be a problem though- as long as your accuracy is good, I wouldn't worry about it. I've gotten good accuracy with both types.