Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Excellent range report for first time Omega owner >

Excellent range report for first time Omega owner

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Excellent range report for first time Omega owner

Old 10-22-2007, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Excellent range report for first time Omega owner

Greetings guys.

As I said, here is the report from my first time out with my new .50 cal omega from this weekend. I went to a local sporting goods store determined to buy everything I needed in terms of maintenance and cleaning to "break it in" and keep it shooting correctly. I bought:

pre-soaked cleaning patches
bore butter
dry patches
breech plug lubricant
250 grain T/C shock waves

I had most everything else.

First Off, I want to say that I could not be more impressed with the ease of operation AND THE ACCURACY of this weapon. I basically just took this gun out of the box on Saturday and two hours later absolutely had it shooting perfect at 100 yds.

I mounted the 2-7xPine ridge scope it came with (with which I was also very impressed with as far as clarity AND usability)

Shooting sequence went like this:

-first fired just a cap
-then fired cap with powder added (no bullet)
-then cleaned with one wet patch, one dry patch (using both sides of both, then one patch greased with bore butter.

-tried to "bore sight" it using the "iron sights" compared to what I saw thru the scope (in retrospect, I think the iron sight were probably considerably off and I think I would have been better off just shooting...see below)

-loaded and fired first shot at 50 yds--DID NOT HIT THE PAPER--No idea where it went
-cleaned and lubed and loaded again
-fired 2nd shot (this time at 25 yds in order to hit something)...was about 7 inches high, 1 inch leftat 25yds.
-Ok, good starting point. Had actually brought the POI way up during the "bore sighting" so I would have been better off probably just to mount and shoot...but no big deal either way.
-Cleaned, lubed, and loaded again...Forgot to mention I decided to start with 120 grains of pyrodex and kept that same load throughout.
-moved the scope appropriately and fired 3rd shot (still at 25yds)
-Bingo!!.1 inch high,looked goodright/left.
-decided it was time to take it out to 100yds and see the real story.
-cleaned, lubed, and loaded again (didn't change the scope this time)
-fired 4th shot. Good shot. 3.75 inches high and about 1 inch right of bull.
-cleaned, lubed and loaded again.
-adjusted scope accordingly
-fired 5th Shot...BINGO!!!...DOUBLE BINGO!!!. Nailed it. right at one inch high, DEADON left/right. Cut the top 1/3rd of the Orange (using the 2 in circles).

A friend that i was shooting with (we shot a bunch of rifles that day) could not believe such accuracy could be had with a ML and now is goin to get one himself (opens up deer season here in wv for an extra week)

That was it. 5 shots (including the first total miss at 50 yds)from "new in the box" to scope mounted and dead nuts on at 100 yds. I could not be more pleased with every aspect of this gun.

-cleaned and lubed the gun and am ready for muzzleloader season. I liked the gun so well, I may take it out during regular firearm season as well a time or two

I'd like to thank you guys that gave me advice on this in here and everyone for being such a quality resource.

Does anyone think that there may not be enough energy with 120 grains of pyrodex shooting a 250grain shock wave???

If there is anything else you guys can see from my procedure that I could improve upon, I welcome your input.

Thanks again.
a totally satisfied hb
Old 10-22-2007, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Excellent range report for first time Omega owner

Bore Butter has a reputation of building up over time in a Bore... loss of accuracy and many hours scrubbing it out can result from it's use. Next time out try leaving the Bore Butter out and see what happens... I think, personally, that is an extra step that is not needed...
Old 10-22-2007, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks for your input flatland hunter. I bought the bore butter based on a recommendation from a guy at the sporting goods store.

At the end of the day I also removed the breech plug and cleaned it and was quite impressed with that sparkling bore before the "butter" was added.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:28 AM

ORIGINAL: Flatland Hunter

Bore Butter has a reputation of building up over time in a Bore... loss of accuracy and many hours scrubbing it out can result from it's use. Next time out try leaving the Bore Butter out and see what happens... I think, personally, that is an extra step that is not needed...
I agree with Flatland Hunter. That has been my experience with Bore butter. For shooting saboted bullets, bore butter will give inconsistent results. I treat my Omega like a modern rifle. Clean with solvent, protect bore with 3 in 1 oil. Bore butter accumulates. That changes inner bore dimensions. Not good with a sabot shooter.
But still, congratulations w/ the Omega. It's an awesome M-Loader!!
Old 10-22-2007, 09:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

In my Omega that load chorny at just over 1940 fps average that about a ton of energy[also one of the loads thatgroups under an inch] I have used it on deer and boar and it does very well. Lee
Old 10-22-2007, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

OK guys,
I went and did a couple of searches on "bore butter" in this forum and it seems that (from what I read) most people here do not like bore butter. Is that correct??? someone said it works good on PRBs (I'm assuming that is "patched round balls", is that correct??). Some said it even causes rust (which is very concerning). So, for the most part, would you guys just recommend a light coat of gun oil after a day of shooting, at the end of the season??? or between every shot (if possible)??

thanks
hb

would I do good to clean the bore butter out that I've already applied after the last shot on Saturday (probably be a month or more before I shoot it again)??
Old 10-22-2007, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take it back out to the range and shoot some more at 100 yards. Take note of where the first shot hits - that would be comparable to a hunting shot.

Take the bore butter completely out and apply a light coating of a quality gun oil such as BreakFree CLP. Stow the bore butter permanently. Be sure to swab out the oil before firing again - couple of alcohol patches/couple of dry patches. No oil or lube between shots - only after a thorough cleaning.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

Take it back out to the range and shoot some more at 100 yards. Take note of where the first shot hits - that would be comparable to a hunting shot.
I understand UC,
but unfortunately this was the one time I had to shoot my gun before hunting season, as I have many time constraints on me right now.

However I feel confident that the gun is now sighted in properlyand everything should be fine as long as I do my part (for which I also have a great deal of confidence).

Although I didn't say in my initial post. I walked down the range to check the target each time allowing time for the barrle to cool (plus it took me a while to complete all the steps I was doing between shots (I'm no Merriwether Lewis, yet)) and there were other shooters to "wait on" as well. I never did feel the slightest "warmth" in the barrel even right after a shot.

Take the bore butter completely out and apply a light coating of a quality gun oil such as BreakFree CLP. Stow the bore butter permanently. Be sure to swab out the oil before firing again - couple of alcohol patches/couple of dry patches. No oil or lube between shots - only after a thorough cleaning.
Will do. I'm assuming I can remove it by using repeated swabbings from those pre soaked cleaning patches. I'll work on her.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Does anyone think that there may not be enough energy with 120 grains of pyrodex shooting a 250grain shock wave???
I shoot 90grs of Pryodex R-S or Goex FFF...I have killed deer out to 143 yards with...You are using plenty of powder...

I also agree that you need to shoot at 100 yards (unless you are going to restrict yourself to 50 yard shots)...I'm sighted in 2 1/2 inches high at 100 with my load and I'm about 2 1/2 to 3 inches low at 150, which is my max range...
I use a 250 Shockwave as well.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

NC,

I shot it at 100 yds (shots 4 and 5 from initial post).

Thanks for the input regarding your "set up"

Quick Reply: Excellent range report for first time Omega owner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.