Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Little Boulder Rock Pit -Shooting >

Little Boulder Rock Pit -Shooting

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Little Boulder Rock Pit -Shooting

Old 08-24-2007, 02:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Little Boulder Rock Pit -Shooting

Well, I went out to the rock pit today with several things I wanted to get down on my agenda...
1] Sight in the 26" Remington
I had adjusted the trigger pull and took the stock pressure of the barrel evenly all the way down the barrel channel.
I bore sighted it here with a laser beam.
2] Test the fouling thing - from a very clean bore that was very well oiled in the gun safe. At the pit I ran one windex patch both sides through the bore. Then a dry patch. Popped 2 - 209 primers... Windex patch again to clean the some of the soot from the bore.

I then loaded shot #1 and instead of just shooting it out the barrel - i shot it at the target expecting the bullet to drift some... You can see #1 on the 50 yard target. I then shot #2-3-4. These were 250 grain Hornady's. I did patch between shots with the same windex patch that I used after shooting the primers, with no drying patches. You can see that the clean barrel shot was high and right of the subseqent shots.

Then I moved the scope 18 clicks left/18 clicks down and fired the second set of bullets.... again patching between shots with the windex patch - no drying patches... ended up using 3 more patches...both sides

Shots #5,6,7 were 250 grain Hornady's
Shots #8,9,10 were 250 grain Speers

I then pushed the target out to 100 yards. By this time the temp has really warmed up - easily in the mid 80's and trying to keep the barrel cool - requires patience which I am short on.... But even a bigger problem was the winds in the end of the closed rock pit... they would come over the high bank on the right blow down on the floor and across the pit and up the rock wall on the left... I am guessing gusting to 15mph. But i was committed to sighting in - so here they are.

Shot #11 I did not even consider the wind I just set and squeezed... 12 & 13 I tried to time the shots in between gusts....

By now I am sweating up a storm the barrel is hot and I pissed because I had a whole bunch of other stuff I wanted to do...

I wanted to chrono some shots with the 'crush rib' the 3p & the HPH-24

I wanted to shoot some 10mils

And I wanted to shoot pigeons out to 125 - that is my max distance in the pit...

So anyway I packed up and came home - now Terry wants me to replace a window in the Rec room....