Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Shooting in the Rock Pit... >

Shooting in the Rock Pit...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting in the Rock Pit...

Old 03-07-2007, 03:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Shooting in the Rock Pit...

First of all I want to appolgize for the mess in this pit. It is one of my favorite places to shoot, but I bet I end up closingitthis summer. It is located on National Forest and becomes a heck of mess through the year because people will not use their heads. My supervisor wanted to post it closed last year but Iasked her to give it another year, with a sign posted to clean up your mess. People are still using itfor a dump and shooting glass bottles. The picture shows a 4 drawer file cabinet someone brought out dumped along with some large speaker cabinets in the foreground. The FS does not have the people on board in the winter to pick this stuff up. I will e-mail the district and we will get this Thursday when the crew makes campground run.

But, to the point of the pictures... Clay pigeons @ a 100 yards... the middle picture shows the birds @ a 100 yards... they are on the wall just to left of the file cabinet located down range.

The top picture shows the two birds with the camera zoomed in by 5 power....

The bottom picture shows the rock area where the two birds were located.... 2 shots - 2 birds.... -> wish they were elk....

Old 03-07-2007, 03:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Shooting in the Rock Pit...

Well now Sabotloader,have youresorted to "barking" your targets? (An old longgun expression for hitting the tree trunk to kill your squirrel rather than the squirrel itself). How does one know?
Old 03-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Dominant Buck

I've never been able to understand the stupidity of some people when it comes to throwing away garbage. People that throw things away where it does not belong are a low life form in my book. And the funny thing is, when they are caught in the act, you'd think they were innocent and you were the one breaking the law by making a big deal out of it. They also seem to be the first and loudest when their dumping grounds is closed to the public. After all, what's the crime throwing away garbage on public land? See, some places charge you to throw things away. So it is much easier to just take a drive out in the middle of now where and throw it in the ditch. Then it is someone else's problem. That's really too bad some people have to be that way.

I have someone that every couple Sundays deposits two 40 ounce beer bottles in the ditch by my mail box. I guess it is their way of going to church. They drive around the forest, kill a couple 40's, pitch the evidence out of their vehicle, and then expect me to clean up the mess.

Well that is some nice shooting there. It looks like a nice place to shoot. It would be a shame if they take it away...
Old 03-07-2007, 03:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

yeoman, my grand father used that expression but he hit the top of their head and that what he called barking [actually we would call it grazing now] he gave me my firet muzzleloader when I was 10 years old if he was still alive now he would be 118 years oldmy mother is the only one of his children still living and she is 91. Lee
Old 03-07-2007, 03:47 PM

Well, here is the way I feel. If I had any land that could be used by someone else to shoot, it would have "NO TRESPASSING" signs everywhere. It only takes 1 or 2 to ruin it for everyone, but many of these shooting spots are now a hazardous area. Sure wouldn't let a small child or a dog run around these places.

Mike knows where I shoot. MOST times we go there, we take plastic bags and pick up garbage for 15 minutes prior to shooting. When we first started doing that, Matt asked, "Why do we have to pick up other peoples trash?". I told him because there are 3 other places I used to shoot that are now closed down, because of all the mess people caused. We don't have to clean it up, but if we don't and nobody else does, then this place will likely close also. Besides the fact that it really is not that big of a deal to do it. He was 13 at the time. One time last year we were getting ready to go shooting and I asked him if we were forgetting anything. He said, "Oh, I'll go get the garbage bags!" I just smiled and nodded.

I can't see the pictures in this thread right now, have to wait until I get home to make judgement.

Mike, Matt only has 1/2 day of school on Friday, so we are hoping to leave early. Maybe we can head to the pit when we get over there???
Old 03-07-2007, 03:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Cdad

Mike, Matt only has 1/2 day of school on Friday, so we are hoping to leave early. Maybe we can head to the pit when we get over there???
Bring your best trigger finger!!!

Oh, by the way can I bum another box of .504's off you until Dan gets up and running again. I'll order several boxes from him and replace yours if you can spare one....

Old 03-07-2007, 03:59 PM

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

Cdad

Bring your best trigger finger!!!

Oh, by the way can I bum another box of .504's off you until Dan gets up and running again. I'll order several boxes from him and replace yours if you can spare one....
That'll cost you!!!!!! I'll have to check what I have. I may not have any more .504's, maybe only .5045's. How did the .504's go in? I'll check tonight and let you know.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I liked the old TV ad where they caught some onelittering,dumping trash so they backed a dump truck load of trash on their lawn and unloaded it.
Being the dumping grounds for slobs is the price many of us pay for living in a rural area.
Really the fines are not high enough for those who are caught. I think it should be a hefty monetary fine, like 4 figures and 2 years of picking trash every weekend, Holiday or any day where the person isn't working or in school.

Nice shooting Mike.

Al
Old 03-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

he gave me my firet muzzleloader when I was 10 years old
lemoyne - what type of gun did your grandad give you? Do you still have it?
Old 03-07-2007, 11:32 PM

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

Dang Mike, thebox of .504 460s I gave you was the last one I had. I have a bunch of .5045 460's. I will bring a box of those over and if they are too tight, you can shoot them in your Ultra-Mag. I do have some of the .504 400's, I will bring them over for you to try also. And some Swiss.

If you like the Swiss, we can arrange to get you a "supply".