Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Shooting in the Rock Pit... >

Shooting in the Rock Pit...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting in the Rock Pit...

Old 04-20-2008, 04:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Shooting in the Rock Pit...

Went turkey hunting early this morning, but I did take along the new (old) Renegade that I may pic up. So after getting frustrated by a smart ____! turkey - thought I would head over to the rock pit and shoot this gun for the first time.

This gun has a tang peep site and a globe front sight with a metal post reticule installed. I have not shot this combination of sights since iwas in high school - shooting on the high school ROTC program - so it was a re-learnig curve for me. I could not compute in my mind how you get everything lined up so that you take the same sight picture every time. It seems like there is so much space all the way around in the sight picture...I am thinking how do you know thefront globe is equally in thecenter of the rear peep + keep the post on the target...

I started at 25 yards took about 10 shots and finally got the hang of shooting those sights... just said the heck with it and let it kinda line itself up... anyway made a right windage and up elevation change @ 25 and set the target @ 50...

Mixed results and I am not sure why??? I felt good with #1 and even #2 was not that bad... but #3 was bad and I am not sure why.. beat myself up a bit then right back in there with #4... confidence doing well again - crap! #5.

Gave up on paper and then started shooting orangeclay pigeons... They actually seemed easier to shoot... Popped 10 pigeons - figued that was good enough for the first trip with the gun - hopefully more on Tuesday...

Old 04-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Shooting in the Rock Pit...

I agree.. sometimes it is easier to shoot things other then paper it seems. I am notorious for shooting soda pop cans or other small cans. For some reason I can pull down on them and hold true....

Nice shooting other then those fliers.. And that could have been for a number of reasons I am guessing.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sabot - Not too bad. You might want to try those PRB with 80 gr of Pyrodex RS. That shoots fantastic out of my Renegade 54.
And thanks for those bullets. Although the 460s didn't shoot that well, the 400 grainers were right on the money. Check out my posts. Looks like I might have to invest in some for further testing.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice shooting there. I like to shoot thos small torch propane tanks. You can shoot them a lot before they are total junk. Of course I use a lot of them when recycleing the hive bodies I keep buying used.
Kare shot this turkey Friday from our living room window while I was out running the dogs.

I took the dogs out for our evening run yesterday. They were hanging tongue hot so we went to the creek in backwhere I have a small bridge to cross. There is a burm on one side. While the dogs were drinking a turkey took off from behind that burm and about gave me a heart attack since it was only about 10 yards from me.
I though only grouse would scare me half to death like that.

Al

Al

Old 04-21-2008, 10:18 AM
Dominant Buck

A number of years back, I was seated on the ground with my back to a stump & log, all nestled in the bushes.. I was calling in turkey to some decoys I had placed in the field out in front. Behind me I could hear some movement in the dry leaves but I was sure it was about thirty feet to the side of me. I then thought they might be walking past me, so I switched off my Lynch box call andkept clucking with a Quaker Boy mouth call and all of a sudden a hen poked her head around that stump and her face and mine were not more then two feet apart. You want to talk about almost messing your shorts!!! Needless to say I flinched and spooked that one..

Nice score on that turkey there...
Old 04-21-2008, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

"Kare shot this turkey Friday from our living room window"[:-]

That's fun shooting anytime. Looks like a nice bearded hen. I've heard that bearded hens do not reproduce which is why they are allowed to be harvested, has anyone heard this. If it has a beard I shoot it, and man are these birds tasty. I don't get my turn until Sunday.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Looks like that gun has potential Sabotloader. I shot my Renegade this week end after working over the bore with naval jelly and oiled steel wool,and had very little improvement. Won't group balls at all and still tears the heck out of patches.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

sabotloader,I could never get any of my Renagades to shoot consistant with that light a powder load. With that sight you look through it never at it your eye will center on the max light which will be the center. Lee
Old 04-21-2008, 07:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

LEE

At this point I guess I am willing to try anything... Had it out again today and could no consistency from it all. Tried Pyro RS and even T7-3f @ 75 yards they were all over the place.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

you look through it never at it
Lee is right about using that tang peep sight. Just ignore everything except focusing onthe front post. Your eye will take care of the rest. Forget trying to center the front globe in the peep - that will drive you nuts.

Quick Reply: Shooting in the Rock Pit...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.