Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 More Shooting in the Rock Pit... >

More Shooting in the Rock Pit...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

More Shooting in the Rock Pit...

Old 03-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default More Shooting in the Rock Pit...

Got out this morning to shoot again, wanted to shoot the Renegade after I finally got it cleaned....

The main goal for today was to get some chrono times from the shorter barrel Renegade.

I was shooting basically 460 No Excuse bullets but I did finish up with some 460 grain Bull Shops and maybe I found something interesting...

A damp patch after each shot when I was shooting No Excuse bullets did bring up flakes of lead - they were plenty and very visible.... The last 5 shots, 3 in the target and 2 @ orange birds were taken with 460 Bull Shops -again patching after each shot - those patches did not show the lead flakes at all... so I don't know. I am hoping to talk Cdad out of another box of .504 Bull Shops until Dan gets back on his feet and If I get more bullets - I will continue this experiment.

Again the main focus here was getting velocities without shooting the chronograph. I would like to think with fiber optic sights I could get better groups... The sights I have on this barrel are square and for me hard to keep aligned. If the front sight had a bead it would help - I think

Even tough the .504 Bull Shops are harder to load and I may not be able to load to many consecutive shots - I do think I am going to move to that bullet. The three shots withthem were strung out left to right, most of the No Excuses were stringing up and down, but@ 50 yards it doesn't take muchof a difference in sight picture to make a difference@ the target. And when I shot the birds on the rock wall - I got em and I busted them - sure wish I could see them break like in trap shooting...

Non-the-less all the shots of the day would have taken game and that is the name of the game...

It was another great day - not working... there are some benefits to retirement...

Old 03-07-2007, 04:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: More Shooting in the Rock Pit...

From looking at your numbers, I have been really under guessing the velocity of the large conicals. That is some nice shooting. That is some nice shooting. An elk would not stand a chance at that distance...
Old 03-07-2007, 05:12 PM

I'd like to shoot your chrono.I mean shoot through your chrono.

Matt was shooting the 460s in his U-M with 80 gr of 777 ffg. I had figured it to be about 1380 fps. Your results are interesting.

Mike, do you want to shoot some Swiss? I can bring some over. I would really be interested to see what the chrono says between the 777 and the Swiss.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Typical Buck

Well, I guess that proves it, sidelocks are betterthan inlines.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

goatbrother

Well, I guess that proves it, sidelocks are betterthan inlines.
Now I do not think I would go that far.... what I would say might be that shooting an Idaho legalinline vs a sidelock with conicals might be pretty much a toss-up, but shooting a modern inline with a modern projectile vs a sidelockwith a conical, PRB, or a modern projectile - I would take the modern inline..Then add scopes into the picture and odds improve greatly for both guns but I think the modern inline might prove better there still because of powder capacity.

With all of that said there is still another story. I still figure I would have more shooting opportunities over a wider range of conditions and circumstances with a 30-30 than I would with either the modern inline or the sidelock loaded with the most modern projectile.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Cdad

I'd like to shoot your chrono.
Not a chance!!!! - you shoot it you buy it...

I mean shoot through your chrono.
Still no chance! - you could however shoot over it to measure velocity...

Mike, do you want to shoot some Swiss? I can bring some over. I would really be interested to see what the chrono says between the 777 and the Swiss.
If'n you want to bring some Swiss - go fer it. I would also like to see the difference between the two.Might be interesting - I do not think I could even find any Swiss around here if I wanted to...

Old 03-07-2007, 06:44 PM
Typical Buck

Sabotloader - sure soundslike the no Excuse were the source of your lead flakes.

all the shots of the day would have taken game
Looks like the POI is between #8 and #15 from the No Excuse. Is that right? If so, is that 6" from POA, and are you shooting there to be zeroed at 100yds?
Old 03-07-2007, 07:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

yeoman

At this point is does look like the No Excuses were losing a lot more lead in the barrel than the Bull Shops.... I brought home some patches to get a picture but now that hey are dried out you really can see them as well as you could when the came out of the barrel...

I hate to tell you but the point of aim for all the NE's is that green dot in the center of the 3" bull.... I do not even see the bull - what I do see is the bottom of the red "v" and I am trying to set the front sight at the bottom of that "V" then level the rear sight out... Same when i tried to shoot the small bull on the right side with the Bull Shops - it was more difficult because it was really difficult make out the two different white spots in the target. - it was actually a good guess

At 100 yards I should be about 1.5" inches high... when I shoot the birds I sit the bird right on top of the front sight...@ 125 yards I try to get up inside the bird to what I think is about 1/2 way @ 150 I have to cover the bird.

The birds I shot today off the rock wall today "rocking them" vs "barking them" were actually @ 97 yards. I would really like to know if I am hitting them or "rocking them" - so today I did go up and get a picture of the final product... they were in bits and pieces so I believe I was hitting them. Last week sometime I tried to get my head and eyes up quick enough to see - but missed the bird completely - so now I am back trying just to stay one the target.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:10 PM
Typical Buck

I wonder if polishing the bore a bit would help the leading???

Gun show in Potlatch Sunday.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

goatbrother

Thanks - gotta shoot trap in the morning might make it over in the afternoon... I'm looking for another Renegade 50 cal barrel...

Quick Reply: More Shooting in the Rock Pit...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.