Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

powder measure

Old 08-16-2007, 07:50 PM

Default powder measure

I'm trying to decide what powder measure I want to buy. I like the features on the CVA Trophy Powder Measure. Anybody have any experience with one? If not, what's your favorite powder measure for loose powder?
Old 08-16-2007, 10:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: powder measure

For loose powder, any of the clear funnel top powder measures seem to work. The kind that when you swing the funnel over the measure tube, it cuts the powder charge. I just make sure I use the same measure time and time again for the same rifle. Not that it should make much of a difference in the volume you draw, but checking measures, there is a slight difference between them.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

While were talking about powder measures I'm going to try to shoot some different gr's of powder to substitute the 100 grains of Pyrodex pellets. RS sells for a little over $17 a pound and pellets are $26 and some change. So, I'm going to do a little playing around. My measure might be a CVA I can't remember.....brass, has a slide on the bottom with a locking screw and measures in 10gr increments, funnel on top that slides over to level the powder, etc, etc. I've noticed if I fill the measure level of powder then tap on the side or bottom of the measure I can add more powder. So what does everyone do? Fill the measure, level the powder off then dump in your speed loaders or tap on the measure and add more powder. Or, is it just stupid to worry about it?
Old 08-17-2007, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

sjsfire,
Good question. I just started using powder over pellets. Right now I fill it just over the top and then let the cap scrape it off. I notice that as I am doing that the powder settles and by the time I have the cap completely over the powder it is below the top due to movement of my hands while swinging the cap over.
It seems that this might make my loads a bit inconsistant.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:11 PM
Fork Horn

I use the Knight combination brass flask and powder measure. You fill the brass powder flask then stick the measure in the bottom, push the slide and give a few shakes, shut the slide and you're done. No muss, no fuss. Here's a link to the description on Knight's website. I picked it up on sale at a local outdoor store.

http://www.knightrifles.com/productD...aspx?id=324306

Traditions has a similar item, here it is a Wholesale Hunter:
http://www.wholesalehunter.com/produ...productid=5423
Old 08-17-2007, 03:22 PM

I use one like what Cayugad is talking about...

https://secure.tcarms.com/store/inde...prevstart/108/
Old 08-18-2007, 07:20 PM

yep....the clear one does it for me. I tap it on the side to settle. I pour directly from the bottle.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use an adjustable measure when working up a load for the gun, but for hunting I use a brass measure with a fixed volume. I usually buy them oversized (if I need 90 grains I'll buy a 100 gr, measure) then fillit using the sameadjustable measure is used fordetermining the load, andset atthe selected charge. I then cut the fixed measure to the level where the powder is.