Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Which powder measure? >

Which powder measure?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Which powder measure?

Old 10-22-2008, 12:59 PM
Spike

Default Which powder measure?

After realizing how much cheaper it is to shoot loose powder instead of pellets, I am making the switch. I was wondering which powder measure you all like to use and how much powder is generally lost when measuring and pouring. I plan on keeping the powder in the green CVA speedloaders and was wondering if ya'll thought they would seal out moisture well enough for charge storage. I was shooting 100 grains of pyrodex pellets with a 300 grain sierra pro hunter 45-70 bullet and plan to use 90-100 grains of loose pyrodex for the same bullet. The only deer I have shot with that combo blew right througha 130 pound doe (only 15 yd shot) without much expansion and I was thinkingthat slowing the bulletdown a bit might give it more time to expand.By the way, thanks for the earlier information on the correct sabot to use with the 45-70 government bullets.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Which powder measure?

Personally I like the clear plastic 120 grain capacity see through ones with the funnel on the top. You set the charge, pour it just rounding the top, then cut the load. While there is a little waste, its nothing to get excited about.

You can buy a top for the Pyrodex and other brands jug and pour right from the jug at the range, then pour out how ever many hunting loads you want to carry and put the powder in them tubes. Not funnels, flasks, or nothing. Works great. Those CVA speed loaders should work fine. I had powder in them for two years and it still shot fine..
Old 10-22-2008, 09:09 PM
Typical Buck

Another vote for the clear measures, I like the ones T/C sells. But any of the clear ones are good, it really helps being able to see the powder, cuts down on the spillage.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:57 PM

I have one of those brass measurers,but when measureing the same amount on my digital scale there is a 15 grain difference in weight.The brass measurer is lite.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ron, the brass measurer throws volumetric charges - not weight. You don't expect 100 grains from that brass measure to actually weigh 100 grains on your scales?

Won't even be close unless it's black powder you are using.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: smokeblower

After realizing how much cheaper it is to shoot loose powder instead of pellets, I am making the switch. I was wondering which powder measure you all like to use and how much powder is generally lost when measuring and pouring. I plan on keeping the powder in the green CVA speedloaders and was wondering if ya'll thought they would seal out moisture well enough for charge storage. I was shooting 100 grains of pyrodex pellets with a 300 grain sierra pro hunter 45-70 bullet and plan to use 90-100 grains of loose pyrodex for the same bullet. The only deer I have shot with that combo blew right througha 130 pound doe (only 15 yd shot) without much expansion and I was thinkingthat slowing the bulletdown a bit might give it more time to expand.By the way, thanks for the earlier information on the correct sabot to use with the 45-70 government bullets.
I have this one, it works well, recommend it:

http://tinyurl.com/5hetzq

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000307222

also buy the plastic pouringspouts for your powder:

http://tinyurl.com/6hfw52

also buy the bigger see thru dispenser:

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000307224

Chap

Old 10-27-2008, 01:34 PM
Spike

Thanks for the input guys - I ordered the clear TC powder measure and spout that Chap mentioned. I hope to be shooting the loose powder this weekend with the sierra 45-70 government 300 grain fn hp bullets and orange mmp sabots.I saw several does this weekend and might have to try one next weekend if they happen to come back through.

Bee
Old 10-27-2008, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the clear one with the funnel
it works good
At first the funnel top was tight and hard to move and it would skip and the powder would jump out of the measure but I worked it back a forth a bit and now it is SMOOTH
Old 10-27-2008, 10:15 PM
Fork Horn

Two great purchases there. You won't be disappointed!