Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 You'll find this a little interesting.... >

You'll find this a little interesting....

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

You'll find this a little interesting....

Old 08-16-2007, 08:02 PM

Default You'll find this a little interesting....

http://img401.imageshack.us/my.php?image=uploadedon81607lj2.jpg

This is the link to the image of the target I shot today. 50 yards---TC Omega--open sights, off rest.

I have written the order of the shots on the target pic. Shots 1-3 were with 110 grains Pyrodex and 300 grain Hornady XTPs. The first shot fell a little outside--which is common, I understand. These are my first group---2 1/2 inches and I was somewhat pleased. Shots 4-6 I decided to change it up and test 250 grain bullets. These were TC XTP bullets. Look at the difference!!!!Asmall %age ofthe group size--3/4 inch. I thought about leaving it at that but decided to do some more testing. I was gonna change the target(which I wish I did now), but was too lazy. I swabbed the barrel real well and then fired off a 300 again. I don't know what happened there....it must've had something to do with the clean barrel. It was way off of where the others were. Shot #8 seemed to fall closer to the original area. I then changed it up again and fired 250s for #'s 9 and 10. They were in the general area and I was OK with them.

What is your make of the whole shoot? What caused the outside shots? Does switching bullets cause any difference? I am pretty sure that the clean barrel caused a different impact point for some reason. Do you agree?

I don't what to say as to why I shot better with the 250s--which I tend to boycott. I just thought you all would find it very interesting. I was using a very solid rest and felt good with each shot. I am almost sure I didn't flinch any....[>:]

For the record, I am considering shots 1-3 and shots 4-6 the shot groups, since they were shot in a row. The others were screw offs and I wish I used a separate target.

Enjoy!
Old 08-16-2007, 08:04 PM

Default RE: You'll find this a little interesting....

By the way--it was good to shoot ML again. I basically haven't shot it for 6 months or something.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:14 PM

Point of impact will be different if some shots are from a cool barrel and some are from a hot barrel. In a hot barrel, the plastic sabots become much more pliable and are apt to lose their ability to hold the bullet consistently. Let the barrel cool down between shots. It's all about consistency. Kevin
Old 08-16-2007, 09:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Looking at your target, I would say you were doing some rather good shooting. Of course you know that once you have a real good group going, if you risk one more shot, it will throw it way out of the group. Always happens.

As for the difference between the two bullets hitting in different parts of the target, the other day I was shooting some Barnes Expanders, and they were hitting fine. I then loaded some Remington FP and they hit almost four inches lower then the Barnes.

Keep shooting, your doing great...
Old 08-16-2007, 10:18 PM

Thanks for the encouragement!

I'm getting more ready for bowhunting at the moment. Unfortunately, I'm only going Mling this year if I strike out with bow. A buck's my goal. We can't spare any more freezer room so I'm gonna make it count
Old 08-16-2007, 10:24 PM

The fact that they hit that distance apartmakes sense, really. The 300s are heavier and therefore hit lower.....very simple logic. That doesn't explain that high shot though. The only clue I would have is the hot barrel versus the cool barrel, as was suggested. When I fired that shot, I waited a couple minutes. It is definite that I shoot best when I load rather quickly and only fire 3 shots. If I swab, it seems to throw off my POI.

If I just did that I would hold better groups. I'm sure we all would.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

Outdoors - I would be excited about shots 4,5,6. Not only are they a nice tight "group", they are exactly where you want them to hit at 50 yds. if you planto try them at 100yds. I would encourage you to shoot more than 3 shots in sequence if you are truly interested in what you and a particular load can achieve. I like 5 shot groups mostly because it seems like 15 shots is about my physical/mental/time limit at the range and gives me the opportunity to try several loads/distances. More shots in determining group reliability is always better IMO. Good shooting and keep at it!

Old 08-17-2007, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

To obtain uniform performance shooting any rifle, everything must be kept as uniform as possible.

Any changes you make in powder, bullet type or weight, wiping or not wiping the bore between shots, or primer/cap being used will generally result in a hole on the target in a different place than the last one you fired.

Even a slight difference in the pressure you used to seat the bullet on the powder charge canmake a difference in where the bullet lands!
Old 08-17-2007, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Outdoor...It sounds like you are not cleaning between EACH shot....
I always do...The barrel has to be conditioned the same each shot
to get consistant grioups...

As far as different weight bullets grouping differently, because of the lower
velocities in a muzzle loader this is more evident than in a centerfire...It would be uncommon for a 250 to group in the same group as a 300...

How much load tuning have you done??? Are you just using the sabots that
came with the bullets?? Sabots can make a huge difference..As well as powder charges...I'd pick a bullet, start at 90 grains and work up to 120 before I discounted that particular bullet...Even if that bullet doesn't group well, you could even go to say a MMP-24 and start the process all over again...Just like reloading, or tuning a bow...I bet your broadheads hit in the same group as your field points, because you have spent a lot of time tuning your rest so they will...Muzzle loaders are the same way....Many folks are happy with 2 inch groups (with a scope) at 100 yards and that's fine, but they will do better than that...
Old 08-18-2007, 09:59 PM

I've experimented a lot with swabbing. I have never noticed a difference in shot quality as long as I clean it every 5 shots. You can disagree but I haven't seen the need.

Just to make positive of my gun and the load's capabilities, next time I shoot it I'm gonna swab each shot, use oneweight bullet, and shoot a 5 shot group. That should make it easier to read.....

Thanks for all the ideas!!