Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

powder measure

Old 10-07-2005, 09:02 PM

Default powder measure

Hey guys, I'm new to muzzleloadingand still in the process of gathering all the necessary accessories - is there a powder measure yourecommend?
Old 10-07-2005, 09:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: powder measure

I personally like the Thompson Center see through measure with the cut off funnel spout. They seem to be a little more solid built then some of the other ones out there.

Foxridge Outfitters has these... there are other places that also have them for less money
Old 10-07-2005, 10:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

ditto....i have and use that same one........and the same TC U-view(think thats what they are called) flask as well......i like being able to see my powder....can tell if somehow it got moister in it.....see how much is left....just make sure its ok and call goes down the tube.....and i think brass ones would make noise...not sure but a few metal objects in a possibles bag would probably clank around........i havent had a problem in...3 years? with mine
Old 10-08-2005, 03:07 PM

Thanks so much for the help, cayugad & mauser06. Great forum you guys have here. I've gleaned a lot of knowledge here over the past several weeks - now I just need to start shootin!
Old 10-08-2005, 04:55 PM
Spike

I purchased a brass measure based on the recommendation of the sales person at a gun shop... it has a cut off funnel which works well. However, if I had it to do over again, I would buy a see through measure. I am also new to ML, and have had powder left in the measure as I pulled it away from the barrel... spillingthe last bit on the ground (had to dump the partial load in the barrel, clean it to make sure it was all out, and reload.. a real pain). I also found I needed to tap the funnel on the inside of the barrel to make sure all the powder is out of the measure. With a see through measure I could have avoided these "newbie" problems.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:58 AM
Fork Horn

i'm in with cayugad. I've got one like he's got pictured and the new ones have plastic instead of the brass like he's got shown but both work well and I've no kicks with either one, until I grab the one that is set up for my MKs instead of the one for the disc (90 verses 100 grains).
Old 10-09-2005, 03:53 PM

I also found I needed to tap the funnel on the inside of the barrel to make sure all the powder is out of the measure
I to have a brass measure with the spout. The way I avoid the above problem, especially when using a coarser grain like 2F, is to do the following:

I bend my thumb over the edge of the measure where the two parts come together.Leaving my thumb in this position, invert your hand and tip the spout in to the barrel as normal. When you feel that you need to tap the measure, instead of tapping the spout against the inside of the barrel, I move the measure up and down about an inch or so and let my thumb act as a cushion between the barrel and the measure. (don't tap hard!)

With your thumb in this position on the measure, it also acts as a hold to keep the spout and the measure aligned properly. Not something that has been a problem, but better safe than an embarassing mess.

JM2C
~Robert