Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

POWDER MEASURE

Old 01-25-2006, 09:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default POWDER MEASURE

35 years ago i got a thompson powder measure.it starts at 50 and goes up in 10 gr. increaments.i have always just used 80 or 90 gr setting for my tc hawkins.50 cal. today, i see you can get measures that go in 5 gr. increaments not 10. has anyone found need to go to 5 gr. settings like 75 ,85 or95 etc.to get good groups over the 10 gr.ones we have been using for long time.thanks
Old 01-26-2006, 08:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: POWDER MEASURE

Well I have used the half mark amounts. Whether that makes the rifle more accurate, it has been places where I get the best groups shooting different projectiles. For instance, I have a Wolverine LK-II that shoots a 240 grain XTP the very best with 85 grains of Goex 3f. It will also shoot very well with 90 grains though. When I go to 2f powder then I jump the charge to 100 grains of 2f.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

sproulman

Both actually all three of mine are 10 grain differences and there is occasions where I wish I a five grain increment but it is rare. Flado, and I think I am quoting him correctly, suggested that a 5 grain increment was needed to see an appreciatble difference in velocity, now I suppose with t7 it would be slightly less than 5. In my mind right now I am thinking it would really be hard for me to even pour a 5 grain increment with any reliability. Especially since I am a tapper - somehow I got into a settled powder load - probably came from the days I was reloading with a Lee Loader using spoons...

Old 01-26-2006, 07:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

cayugad had good idea, if you want say 85 grains, just put the measure at half way between say the 80 gr and 90 gr mark. i will try that but they must of felt that 5 gr settings were not necessary or they would not have made measures in 10 gr increaments.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a measure that uses 10 gr increments, but it hasn't stopped me from experimenting with 5 gr increments. As stated, just put it aprox 1/2 way between and tighten the screw. Works for me. Even if you only THINK that you have a more accurate load, it gives you confidence when you pull the trigger.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

my measure is 36 years old,from thompson.it does not have screw on side to stop it half way.it goes from 50 up to 120 in 10 gr. stops but no screw to tighten.i most likely will use a marker to mark the halfway between say, 80 and 90 grs,unless someone has better idea.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:00 PM

ORIGINAL: sproulman

my measure is 36 years old,from thompson.it does not have screw on side to stop it half way.it goes from 50 up to 120 in 10 gr. stops but no screw to tighten.i most likely will use a marker to mark the halfway between say, 80 and 90 grs,unless someone has better idea.
FWIW, In my experienceyour muzzleloader rifle really won't noticea 5 grain difference...heck, on a 100grn charge there's almost a 5grn variance pouring one measure after another...and it's one of the reasons powder measures for large charges in rifles aremade in 10grn increments.

When you get down into the pistol size charges, those smaller charges use smaller powder measures and they aredesigned with 5grn increments, where a 5grn difference would be noticable when only throwing a 20-25grn charge in the first place.

Agood rule of thumb when starting to consider making any off the cuff modificatiosn to industry standards that have been proven for decades/scores/hundreds of years is to pause and rethink the situation...ie: there should really be no need to be making a 5grn black ink mark on a TC 50-120grn powder measure...if there was, the manufacturers would be making them that way.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

i guess we all think that we are shooting a high power rifle that 5grs does make difference.in blackpowder, from what you say, 5 grains means nothing. this is why i asked this because i saw some using 85 gr,95 gr,105 gr.so, i thought, what heck, see if it means anything, guess you feel,it does not,so, no marker at halfway. thanks.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:22 PM

That's really an excellent point that these aren't high powered CF rifles...just ease into this grand old shooting sport of muzzleloading and just enjoythe simplicity of it...basically, just do most things like our ancestors did...pour in some powder, seata patched ball, and have fun...

Old 01-27-2006, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

I only use 5gr increment powder measures and for pistol I use a single grain measure.

Ishootmostly FFFG (3FG) powders (BM'3, 777 & Swiss BP) and I have found overall that a 5gr increment can make a significant difference in accuracy depending on the rifle and projectile.

That said, I can also often find decent hunting accuracy loads with a 10 grain increment measure. Certainly with FFG (2FG) powders.

Sure, I could set one of my 10 gr measures in-between a marked range, but I would rather have a specific 5gr increment.

M2C

Tahquamenon