Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 TC .50 Hawken Youth Loads....... >

TC .50 Hawken Youth Loads.......

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC .50 Hawken Youth Loads.......

Old 04-26-2007, 03:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default TC .50 Hawken Youth Loads.......

I just picked up a used .50 TC Hawken for my 14 year old and hopefully it will not be too unwieldly for him but the price was right @ $200 Canadian.I need a light target ball load.Also what conicals work best in this model ie;weight and brand.These list at $650 new up here so I couldn't help being Scottish.Do these take a .490 ball?And is the 2F powder I'm using in my .54 suitable for the .50 as well? All feedback welcome.............Harold [stiffer hunting load data as well]
Old 04-26-2007, 05:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: TC .50 Hawken Youth Loads.......

ORIGINAL: Pioneer2

I just picked up a used .50 TC Hawken for my 14 year old and hopefully it will not be too unwieldly for him but the price was right @ $200 Canadian.I need a light target ball load.Also what conicals work best in this model ie;weight and brand.These list at $650 new up here so I couldn't help being Scottish.Do these take a .490 ball?And is the 2F powder I'm using in my .54 suitable for the .50 as well? All feedback welcome.............Harold [stiffer hunting load data as well]
The 2f powder will work just fine in that rifle. And yes, they do take a .490 ball and a standard .015-.018 patch. For conicals, try a simple maxi BALL not the maxihunter. I have never been able to get that maxihunter to shoot well.

As for a simple target load, 50 grains will do just fine. No recoil, and very little fowling as well. For a light hunting load, I have a friend that deer hunts with 70 grains and a maxiball and has knocked deer flat at 70 yards with that.

Also REAL conicals shoot well out of some of the Hawkins/Renegades. I have five of them and only one does not shoot conicals worth a hoot. But with a roundball, it will drive them all day.

Heck of a deal on that rifle there.. Hawkins are well balanced, nice shooting, and low recoil. Good luck with it.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:07 PM

Some info from personal hands on experience...

1 30 & 40grns Goex 3F round ball 25yd plinking loads are so accurate it's scary...zero recoil due to the weight of the rifle...excellent small game loads.

2) 50-60grns CAN be used for deer BUT hold the line at 50yds.
70grns would be better...I use 90grns Goex 3F becausewith that max loadI know I'km setfor full distance as well.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:56 PM
Typical Buck

Thanx guys! I'll try them out as soon as I take delivery of the gun...............Harold