Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Deer Loads for a .45 TC Hawken >

Deer Loads for a .45 TC Hawken

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Deer Loads for a .45 TC Hawken

Old 05-12-2006, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default Deer Loads for a .45 TC Hawken

I have a friend who is looking for good advice on what works well on deer with a .45 sidelock. Sabots are allowed in Michigan.
Any and all info will be appreciated.

Thanx in advance,
IM jaybe
Old 05-12-2006, 03:39 PM

Default RE: Deer Loads for a .45 TC Hawken

Personally, the .45cal TC Hawken is my favorite and I've excellent results with both the Hornady .440/128grn round ball, and the.45cal/255grn TC Maxi-Hunter...both will drive tacks in my 1:48 twist barrels and I've taken multiple deer with either of them.

The benefit of the Maxi-Hunter over the lighter weight ball is energy at distance...if the shots will be no more than50-60yds from a stand the ball will be fine...if the distances might run60-100yds then I'd suggestthe heavier Maxi-Hunter.

My .45cal deer loads are:

90grns Goex 3F
Oxyoke Wonderwad
.018" TC prelubed pillow ticking
Hornady .440 ball

100grns Goex 2F (FFg)
Oxyoke Wonderwad
255grn TC Maxi-Hunter

Years ago I tried a .45cal sabot in a TC 1:48", and could never get satisfactory accuracy out of the .357bullets that had to be used with the little sabot.

If you try themI believe you'll be very pleased with the two loads above, and for year round practice, just drop the round ball load back to 50grns for playing at the range.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

The RB with 60 gr & a ticking patch the Maxie hunter with 70gr RS and the new sabot with a 180 gr 40 cal bullet with 90gr RS. Lee
Old 05-12-2006, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jaybe

I have a friend who is looking for good advice on what works well on deer with a .45 sidelock. Sabots are allowed in Michigan.
I know sabot/bullets smaller than45-cal are allowed during Michigan's firearms season, but did Michigan change the laws regarding their long-standing 45-cal & larger bullets-only for muzzleloading season?

If the muzzleloading season law still stands, then you will need to use a full bore conical in your 45-sidelock.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

ORIGINAL: jaybe

I know sabot/bullets smaller than45-cal are allowed during Michigan's firearms season, but did Michigan change the laws regarding their long-standing 45-cal & larger bullets-only for muzzleloading season?

If the muzzleloading season law still stands, then you will need to use a full bore conical in your 45-sidelock.
There are nolonger anyMLcaliber restrictions in Michigan. You can hunt Deer or whatever is legal game with a .32 cal rifle and roundball if you wish.

Tahquamenon.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

as you can see, many good info.as you are talking to HUNTER not target shooter,here is my advice. many deer are missed because of recoil.i seen it, been there done that.with a flintlock ,open sights you are not going to be shooting more than 100 yards.mostly 30 yards to 80 yards.if you practice a lot, recoil is no problem, most dont. if you hunt a lot, recoil is not problem, most dont. soooooooooooo,here is what i have learned in about40 years after the buck. if you cant hold gun steady because of smoke,noise,kick etc. its a big thing with a FLINTLOCK.not so much with rifle with scope.a little movement on OPEN sights and mr. buck is gone.here is what i do. i have .50cal t/c hawkins.i load about 80 grs of 2f geox with the 370 maxi-ball.no kick and will nail a deer.now, i changed to POWERBELTS .why, because they are HOLLOW points.you dont need and should not shoot hot loads with these bullets.you CAN shoot lighter loads and cleanly kill a buck.this is why i think the hollow point POWERBELTS are greatest thing for a buck in 40 years i have been stalking them here in state of pa.i dont use them for practice,only hunting.i use roundballs.then,before season, i sight in gun for POWERBELTS. takes me about 6 shots to get it in the bullseye,or less because i know which powder works best with 295/348 pb.i have put the maxi-balls away now. as for maxi-hunters,they are terrible in a .50 cal to shoot.i gave away 2 boxes of maxi-hunters.but maxi-balls/powerbelts are fine.