Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Paging anyone with a Nikon ProStaff scope; impressions? >

Paging anyone with a Nikon ProStaff scope; impressions?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Paging anyone with a Nikon ProStaff scope; impressions?

Old 04-24-2007, 10:31 AM
Spike

Default Paging anyone with a Nikon ProStaff scope; impressions?

I've found a couple threads on this scope but wanted to hear from people using it on a ML. I have the following:

- stainless Apex that needs ascope
- $37 in Cabelas points
- $50 Cabelas gift card
- $30 off $100 Cabelas sale coupon

I've read good reviews on the Prostaff and think I want to pick one up, but wanted to double check for any further comments. The scope retails for $169, so after all my discounts I could walk away spending ~$52 not including mounts. I'm looking at the 3-9x40 in silver finish:

Nikon Prostaff

Any comments would be helpful!!! Thanks!
Old 04-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Paging anyone with a Nikon ProStaff scope; impressions?

ORIGINAL: zuren1cs

I've found a couple threads on this scope but wanted to hear from people using it on a ML. I have the following:

- stainless Apex that needs ascope
- $37 in Cabelas points
- $50 Cabelas gift card
- $30 off $100 Cabelas sale coupon

I've read good reviews on the Prostaff and think I want to pick one up, but wanted to double check for any further comments. The scope retails for $169, so after all my discounts I could walk away spending ~$52 not including mounts. I'm looking at the 3-9x40 in silver finish:

Nikon Prostaff

Any comments would be helpful!!! Thanks!
I am sure you read the 28 reviews of the productat Cabela's:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602006-cat601569&id=0006464711747a&navCount=1&amp ;podId=0006464&parentId=cat601569&masterpa thid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IH&ri d=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601569& hasJS=true

If you step up to a NikonOmega you get the BDC trajectory compensating reticle. I don't know how far you intend to shoot with this, but if your going designer balistic tip bullet then that looks like a real good scope:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602006-cat601569&id=0039992712568a&navCount=3&amp ;podId=0039992&parentId=cat601569&masterpa thid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=QW&ri d=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601569& hasJS=true

Chap Gleason
Old 04-24-2007, 01:19 PM

I like the nikon omega but it wouldnt do me any good since its set up for 3 pellets and a sabot load. I really liked the show i watched on tv for that scope. Im using a $30 cheapie thats crystal clear and holds steady on my winchester.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:26 PM
Spike

Yes, I read the reviews but noticed that not many (if any) were of ML users.

I know the Omega has longer eye relief but I have not bought into BDC reticles. If you use a load any different than what they developed the reticle with, the BDC markings may be off. Plus, 100-150 yds. is probably the longest shot I'll take. I'm a little old fashioned on some things; I'd rather figure my range based on where the animal is compared to landmarks then adjust the crosshairs on thetarget accordingly.

Thanks for the input!
Old 04-24-2007, 02:20 PM

Well, Cayugad hasn't spoken up yet (probably shooting or taking a nap), but he has written many times how much he likes his Prostaff. I think his is a 2-7 without BDC, but I could be wrong. I have a 3-9 w/ BDC on a 243. The scope is excellent, but i find the BDC a little "busy". I prefer a straight line. My son shoots the 243 and he loves the scope.

I think it is an excellent scope at an excellent price.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:38 PM
Dominant Buck

I was out shooting my White Ultra Mag today topped with the Nikon Pro Staff 2-7x32mm. Big conicals, big powder charges, big recoil, and big fun. The Pro Staff took it all in stride, and cleaned up perfect again.

It has to be one of the best scopes for the money I have ever had. When I went to the local gun shop my friend owns and asked him.. of all the scopes in my pricerange you carry, which one do you recommend? He said, the Nikon Pro Staff. It has great eye releif, clarity, a life time warranty, excellent parrellex, and he has never had one come back for service or trade. Well he was right, he's never getting mine either.

I do intend on getting a couple more and switching out some scopes on other rifles though. And the Pro Staff will be what I buy. I am one of those that does not like spending hundreds of dollars on a scope that is only going to have to shoot 125 yards, and get beat up by the rifle fowling, and hunting I do. So far this Pro Staff has been bullet proof. I would recommend it to anyone. This 2-7x32mm has the eye relief I want for the heavy recoil, and the clarity and light gathering ability I demand from a hunting scope. I put mine on with Warne QD rings, it comes on and off every time I shoot and clean the rifle and has yet to come off POI for me.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:35 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I was out shooting my White Ultra Mag today topped with the Nikon Pro Staff 2-7x32mm. Big conicals, big powder charges, big recoil, and big fun. The Pro Staff took it all in stride, and cleaned up perfect again.

It has to be one of the best scopes for the money I have ever had. When I went to the local gun shop my friend owns and asked him.. of all the scopes in my pricerange you carry, which one do you recommend? He said, the Nikon Pro Staff. It has great eye releif, clarity, a life time warranty, excellent parrellex, and he has never had one come back for service or trade. Well he was right, he's never getting mine either.

I do intend on getting a couple more and switching out some scopes on other rifles though. And the Pro Staff will be what I buy. I am one of those that does not like spending hundreds of dollars on a scope that is only going to have to shoot 125 yards, and get beat up by the rifle fowling, and hunting I do. So far this Pro Staff has been bullet proof. I would recommend it to anyone. This 2-7x32mm has the eye relief I want for the heavy recoil, and the clarity and light gathering ability I demand from a hunting scope. I put mine on with Warne QD rings, it comes on and off every time I shoot and clean the rifle and has yet to come off POI for me.
I only ever plan to use 100 gr. of powder so do think 3.6" of eye relief with the 3-9x will be an issue vs. the 3.8-3.9" that you get with the 2-7x on a .50 ML? I notice the Nikon Omega ML specific scope has 5" of relief. 0.2.-0.3" doesn't seem like much, until I'm going to the ER to get stitches in my face. My shotgun scope has a huge eye relief and the Bushnell Banner on my .270 is 3". I'm not that experienced with MLing yet to know what I need. Thanks!

Old 04-24-2007, 05:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Zuren1cs that's a hard question to answer. A lot of what we understand as recoil is factored by the weight of the rifle, style of the stock, the projectile we shoot, the powder charge, and our own shooting style. I find that a muzzleloader with a good powder charge and projectile can give you a pretty good jolt. Today when paying more attention to the sight picture then how I had addressed the rifle, I had the rifle knock the bill of my cap.

I personally like as close to 4" of eye relief that I can get. Now some of my other scopes have 3.6" and they work just fine. The Omega scope is for 150 grain loads I believe which would have a pretty good stiff kick in some of the Omega rifles. I would think that what you have described for a load would be just fine with either scope.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:03 PM

I second cayugad's opinion. I have the same scope mounted on a CVA Optima Pro and haven't had any problems with it. Suits my shooting and hunting needs perfectly.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

I like the nikon omega but it wouldnt do me any good since its set up for 3 pellets and a sabot load. I really liked the show i watched on tv for that scope. Im using a $30 cheapie thats crystal clear and holds steady on my winchester.

I hear you, I have seen Michael Waddell shoot it with 3 777 pellets also. The cheapie work pretty good, I have used a $50 Simmons on my Knight Disc for years--it works well. Just took it off and will give it to some kid for his use. I tend to like the $200 Bushnell Elite 3200 Firefly 3x9x40 on MLer now:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=null&id=0024532711680a&amp ;navCount=3&podId=0024532&parentId=cat6015 64&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalo gCode=IH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId =cat601564&hasJS=true

The Firefly reticule has some type of floricent stuff on it that makes the cross hairs light up when it is low light. The rain guard sheds water and the scope is crystal clear with lifetime warranty. It is $230 though. I use to buy cheap when I was young, cause I didn't have a lot of money to spend on hunting stuff. I don't have to buy cheap any longer, so I now buy good rifle scopes, good ScentLoc Waterprooof Bibs, excellent boot and ladder stands instead of these stands:

When your raising a family you can't invest in all the nice things for hunting.

Best wishes in your hunting adventures and prepartion. Chap

Quick Reply: Paging anyone with a Nikon ProStaff scope; impressions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.