HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - TC .50 Hawken Youth Loads.......
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2007, 05:03 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: TC .50 Hawken Youth Loads.......

ORIGINAL: Pioneer2

I just picked up a used .50 TC Hawken for my 14 year old and hopefully it will not be too unwieldly for him but the price was right @ $200 Canadian.I need a light target ball load.Also what conicals work best in this model ie;weight and brand.These list at $650 new up here so I couldn't help being Scottish.Do these take a .490 ball?And is the 2F powder I'm using in my .54 suitable for the .50 as well? All feedback welcome.............Harold [stiffer hunting load data as well]
The 2f powder will work just fine in that rifle. And yes, they do take a .490 ball and a standard .015-.018 patch. For conicals, try a simple maxi BALL not the maxihunter. I have never been able to get that maxihunter to shoot well.

As for a simple target load, 50 grains will do just fine. No recoil, and very little fowling as well. For a light hunting load, I have a friend that deer hunts with 70 grains and a maxiball and has knocked deer flat at 70 yards with that.

Also REAL conicals shoot well out of some of the Hawkins/Renegades. I have five of them and only one does not shoot conicals worth a hoot. But with a roundball, it will drive them all day.

Heck of a deal on that rifle there.. Hawkins are well balanced, nice shooting, and low recoil. Good luck with it.