Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Blackpowder shotgunning............ >

Blackpowder shotgunning............

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Blackpowder shotgunning............

Old 02-17-2007, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default Blackpowder shotgunning............

Hi,Has any one used or owned a .56 Renegade smoothbore as a shotgun before ? If so what was your impression for potting small game etc.? No choke I guess ,but it should be about 28 gauge in size,or is a shotgun barrel available for the Renegade?Could it be jug-choked?Who does reboring for muzzleloaders?Any current single shot BP shotguns being made.What do you like and why? Thanx Harold
Old 02-17-2007, 07:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Blackpowder shotgunning............

ORIGINAL: Pioneer2

Hi,Has any one used or owned a .56 Renegade smoothbore as a shotgun before ? If so what was your impression for potting small game etc.? No choke I guess ,but it should be about 28 gauge in size,or is a shotgun barrel available for the Renegade?Could it be jug-choked?Who does reboring for muzzleloaders?Any current single shot BP shotguns being made.What do you like and why? Thanx Harold
For the Renegade you can get a Green Mountain .62 caliber smoothbore. This is a 20 gauge. Get some Winchester plastic shot cups. Load 80 grains of Pyrodex RS or Goex 2f and 100 grains of #5 or #6 and you have an excellent shotgun out to 25-30 yards. It will smoke a coffee can. I have not been able to shoot a turkey yet with it, but intend to keep trying.

Also you can load a .600 or .610 roundball with an over the powder card, the ball, then an over the shot card and shoot anything big or small like deer out to about 40 yards. After that it is any ones guess where that ball will go. I do intend to load a .58 caliber ball into one of the plastic shot cups and see if I can extend that range to something further.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:52 PM
Typical Buck

White and Knight both have inline shotguns, don't know much about the knight but I have a White and it is a dandy. It will do anything a regular shotgun can. Mine is used for turkey hunting.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

I have never tried BP shotgunning but I bet you could work up some great turkey loads.
Sounds like lots of fun!
LOL, SHills
Old 02-18-2007, 09:02 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: cayugad

For the Renegade you can get a Green Mountain .62 caliber smoothbore. This is a 20 gauge. Get some Winchester plastic shot cups. Load 80 grains of Pyrodex RS or Goex 2f and 100 grains of #5 or #6 and you have an excellent shotgun out to 25-30 yards. It will smoke a coffee can. I have not been able to shoot a turkey yet with it, but intend to keep trying.

Also you can load a .600 or .610 roundball with an over the powder card, the ball, then an over the shot card and shoot anything big or small like deer out to about 40 yards. After that it is any ones guess where that ball will go. I do intend to load a .58 caliber ball into one of the plastic shot cups and see if I can extend that range to something further.
cayugad, are these the shot cups you are talking about?

http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/components/shotshellwads.aspx
Old 02-19-2007, 06:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Those Winchester cups are what I use in my Pedersoli double barrel 12 ga. They work great and are relatively cheap.