Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Blackpowder

Old 01-11-2009, 07:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default Blackpowder

Yes the powder itself, With any luck I will have the rest of my guns and muzzleloaders here in North Carolina, one gun, I have asked the manufacturer about using Pyrodex or Triple 7 in it, and was told to use only Black powder. and to be honest, I have tried Pyrodex in my side locks and don't/didn't like it at all.

So the question is? I have read a few post on the pinnacle powder used in in-lines, and read Goex web site on this powder,
how is this powder in a side lock?
does it really perform like black powder?
or should I just steer away from this and order me 5 pounds of 2F black powder?
Old 01-11-2009, 07:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Blackpowder

Have used a lot of Goex Pinnacle powder since mid 07. Never used it in a sidelock.3F Pinnacle is about the equalof Pyrodex RS in power. Pinnacle is easier to light than Pyrodex or 777.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:42 AM
Dominant Buck

What kind of rifle are we talking about? If its a flintlock, then you shoot only black powder. Its the nature of the beast. If it is a cap lock traditional rifle, I have shot pinnacle 3f with really good results. It seems to have good power, it went off when I pulled the trigger, and was very easy to clean.

I recommend the 3f over the 2f because of the size of the grains. The 2f is so large it hardly pours through the funnel on the powder measure. Also the 3f is a nice clean burning powder.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd go with Goex FFF and be done with it...We have a distributor here in NC and it's currently running about $12.50 a pound...
Old 01-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Fork Horn

OK, lets see how I can do this. I own 1 flint lock in 45 caliber, and that will be black powder 3F and 4F, My 50 caliber side locks arepercussion I can use the 3F Pinnacle, but I also have a 69 caliber Rifle (NOT MUSKET) percussionthat 2F is the smallest fastest granulation I can use, and this is the rifle the manuf recommended only black powder, that is why I asked about the Pinnacle, based on Goex's web site basically saying it acts like blackpowder, and I beleive Bass Pro carries it.

NCHawkeye, I noticed the distributor listed on the Goex web sitein North Carolina, I guess the question is do I want to drive 6 hours round trip to pick up blackpowder? as I would need to buy atleast 4 to 5 pounds if I drove that far.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:52 PM
Dominant Buck

.69 caliber rifle.. too cool. That must be something to shoot.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, the distributor is located just out of Winston Salem...

I'd feed them all Goex FFF and FF...Back in the 70s, we were all told FFF for .45 and smalle, FF for .50 and larger and FFFF for priming...I use FFF in my .54 and .40 caliber flintlocks...I also prime with FFF, can't tell any difference in how fast they go off...Of course a can of FFFF will last a long time for priming, so no big deal to have that on hand as well...

I'm tempted to tell you to try the FFF in the .69, but not knowing anything about it, I'd be scared to...You definately need real black powder for you flintlocks to run properly...

Do you live down east??? If so, where abouts...I grew up in Gates County, near Ahoskie...I now live near Greensboro, so the distributor is about an hour and a half away...I hit them every couple of years and stock up...
Old 01-12-2009, 02:26 AM
Fork Horn

Cayugad, it is a blast to shoot, it is a round ball only gun with a 1:104 twist. it does weight 10 pounds unloaded. I am hoping to use it on a pig hunt 31 Jan if I can shoot it before then to check sighting.

NCHawkeye, I live just out side Clayton, South/East of Raleigh.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Obviously BP will work in the percussion guns, that's what the basec design was developed to use. But, I have never seen a caplock that did not function properly with Pyrodex. I did have trouble getting proper ignition when I switched outthe standard nipple for a musket nipple on my T/C Renegade.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

Do you live down east??? If so, where abouts...I grew up in Gates County, near Ahoskie...I now live near Greensboro, so the distributor is about an hour and a half away...I hit them every couple of years and stock up...
I have fished the Nottoway and Blackwater Rivers, which dumps into the ChowanRiver,for years. Love these rivers.My fishing club fishes mostly in theupper northeast region of NC. Been doing htis for over twenty years. Great place to fish.

Quick Reply: Blackpowder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.