Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Black Powder Shotgunning??? >

Black Powder Shotgunning???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Black Powder Shotgunning???

Old 04-05-2003, 06:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default Black Powder Shotgunning???

I need to call upon the collective wisdom of you guys to help out a buddy of mine. He just bought a new Knight TK2000 shotgun for turkey hunting - as he needed a new challenge in his life. Neither he nor I have any experience with BP scatterguns, so we can use any data, lessons learned, loads, wisdom you can impart.
And 1 question in particular - since he is in Indiana (where centerfire rifles are not allowed for deer hunting) he was wondering if (for deer season) he could also shoot slugs out of the shotgun or are these guns strickly " shot" -type guns?

Thanks guys!!
Old 04-06-2003, 11:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Black Powder Shotgunning???

If the choke in the muzzleloader he has is a turkey choke I wouldn' t use a slug. If it has a choke that can be switched out to something open at least to a standard full, then you can use slugs, but slugs would do best in as close to an open choke as you can get.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Black Powder Shotgunning???

I would not try to shoot a slug out of a TK2000. The barrel is backbored, and made to load and shoot shot better. Even if you buy a cylinder bore choke tube for it, you may have an accident. You can buy a decent inline rifle for around $125 that shoots really well. A shotgun with a roundball isn' t that accurate after 40 or 50 yards anyway. Have fun. Be safe.