Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 A good way to get an idea? >

A good way to get an idea?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A good way to get an idea?

Old 01-09-2007, 09:33 AM

Default A good way to get an idea?

Of the size of what a cartridge would be.

After shooting 80, 90, and 100 grain loads the last coouple of days I am impressed of the kick of what I thought was a "small/moderate" load. Then last night I was looking at my powder measurer, the inside diameter is .50 so it's about the size of what a .50 caliber shell would be, a bit bigger cause the plastic is thicker than brass would be but you get the idea.

Set a PowerBelt ontop of the measurer and hold it at the bottom at 100 grns. so everything above your thumb is cartridge, thats one helluva cartridge! Now increase to 150 grns. Thats a big son-of-a-b

I was kinda worried 80-90 grns. wouldn't be enough for thick skinned pigs, not anymore, even if not, 100-110-120 should knock'em on their azzez!
Old 01-09-2007, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A good way to get an idea?

If 70 grains and a 425 grain bullet (50-70 cartridge) will kill a buffalo, how do you think 70 grains and a 410 GP Conical would do on a pig?
Old 01-09-2007, 09:46 AM

Wow! Are you serious!?! I guess I have under-estimated Black Powder.

I tell you what, after yesterday, seeing progress with my grouping and understanding of the gun I am impressed and stokedto have a rifle that with the right shot placement is probably capable of taking ANY animal walking god's green earth.

This is bad though, the fever has set in and I have been eyeballing the TC Encore Pro hunter.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TXFRNTLDER

Wow! Are you serious!?! I guess I have under-estimated Black Powder.

I tell you what, after yesterday, seeing progress with my grouping and understanding of the gun I am impressed and stokedto have a rifle that with the right shot placement is probably capable of taking ANY animal walking god's green earth.

This is bad though, the fever has set in and I have been eyeballing the TC Encore Pro hunter.
Thats the way it is. Glad you are having such a great time with it.

You may be interested to know that a typical 45-70 or 50-70 weighed over 11 pounds to deal with recoil. Bison hunters shot all day long when they could just slaughtering them. So they didn't want to get beat up by their rifles.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:07 AM
Dominant Buck

There are many people, intelligent people actually thatreally have little clue when thinking in terms of the knock down power of a black powder rifle. I have talked to people that really think its "neat" that I hunt game animals with one of them under powered black powder guns. When I ask them if they are serious about them thinking these rifles are under powered, some of them really are.

There was a person I talked to that thought a roundball would not kill an animal past 70 yards. When I explained 80 or 90 grains of Pyrodex and a round ball shot through one deer and killed a second one as well at 80 yards, they were stunned. Now consider if I had been shooting a conical or one of these super penetrating sabots out there.

You tell them that during the Civil War there were recorded kills at over 800 yards with black powder rifles, they are flabbergasted. As most of us know, we are never under gunned when we hunt with a black powder rifle. We might be limited to one shot, but that only means we take our time and place the one and only we have. That in itself will often lead to the advantage of these rifles.

I should not admit this, but when I was younger I hunted with semi automatic shotguns. When a grouse would flush, I very seldom hit with the first shot. It was always the second, after I calmed down and concentrated. After I got my first double barrel, it changed my entire shooting personification. I found I slowed down, concentrated, and made the first shot out of the double count.

Work up a good load, have a good projectile, place your shot, and the animal will be yours.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:21 AM

One of the concepts that has grown out of the small bore, high velocity era of firearms development is that low velocities rendersmall bullets fairly ineffective. The modern projectiles need significant speed to make a clean kill. At higher impact velocities, a bullet is capable of making a wound channel many times larger than its frontal diameter.

The large bullets of yesteryear don't need that much speed to be lethal. About the only thing extra speed gives you is a flatter trajectory, at the expense of increased recoil of course.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know a guy who has never ever hunted deer with a shotgun - only uses Smoke Pole and has many BIG bucks hangin on his wall - including the last time I heard the state record buck with bow.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:39 AM

ORIGINAL: cayugad
I should not admit this, but when I was younger I hunted with semi automatic shotguns. When a grouse would flush, I very seldom hit with the first shot. It was always the second, after I calmed down and concentrated. After I got my first double barrel, it changed my entire shooting personification. I found I slowed down, concentrated, and made the first shot out of the double count.
I met an ole boy once, he told me a story about being out of state on a quail hunt and his shotgun broke down on him to where he could only load and fire one shot at a time until he got the new part. He said because he knew this he slowed down and took his time and had the best hunt of his life. He told me to try it some time, hunt with only one shell knowing when you flush something you've only got one shot.

It works.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:17 PM
Dominant Buck

I pulled a good one on a bunch of friends one day pheasant hunting. We were allowed two birds a day. As we unloaded the dogs and got the shotguns out, we were doing what all hunters do, kidding each other. They of course teased me about my old dog, but knew she never missed a bird, even though like me, she was slow as molasses in winter when she worked a field. My friends dog, you needed track shoes to keep up with him.

As I watched them stuffing their pockets with shells, I pulled the double barrel out. Immediately they began to tease me about using a double barrel as they all used Remington Semi Automatic shotguns. I then reached into the box and removed two shells. I loaded two in the gun, and put the boxof shells back in the truck. They just howled about, what if you miss? I just smiled and told them I had no intention of missing. I also did not tell them I had five more shells from hunting the other day in the other pocket.

I headed out to a different part of the field since my dog had one fault. She was not social. Any other dog in the area of me got confronted by her, rather ruff. She was fine by herself, just not a team player, and I never could break her of that. At the end of the day we all met back at the trucks. I had my two roosters with two shots. I then told them they must be about wore out, carrying all those extra shells.