HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - A good way to get an idea?
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2007, 10:07 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: A good way to get an idea?

There are many people, intelligent people actually thatreally have little clue when thinking in terms of the knock down power of a black powder rifle. I have talked to people that really think its "neat" that I hunt game animals with one of them under powered black powder guns. When I ask them if they are serious about them thinking these rifles are under powered, some of them really are.

There was a person I talked to that thought a roundball would not kill an animal past 70 yards. When I explained 80 or 90 grains of Pyrodex and a round ball shot through one deer and killed a second one as well at 80 yards, they were stunned. Now consider if I had been shooting a conical or one of these super penetrating sabots out there.

You tell them that during the Civil War there were recorded kills at over 800 yards with black powder rifles, they are flabbergasted. As most of us know, we are never under gunned when we hunt with a black powder rifle. We might be limited to one shot, but that only means we take our time and place the one and only we have. That in itself will often lead to the advantage of these rifles.

I should not admit this, but when I was younger I hunted with semi automatic shotguns. When a grouse would flush, I very seldom hit with the first shot. It was always the second, after I calmed down and concentrated. After I got my first double barrel, it changed my entire shooting personification. I found I slowed down, concentrated, and made the first shot out of the double count.

Work up a good load, have a good projectile, place your shot, and the animal will be yours.