Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Cayugad, whats the 100 grain limit? >

Cayugad, whats the 100 grain limit?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cayugad, whats the 100 grain limit?

Old 01-10-2007, 01:06 AM

Default RE: Cayugad, whats the 100 grain limit?

Someone mentioned a theory about more rookies owning CVA's than TC's therefor more accidents with CVA's.

I believe that.

At random I believe if you take 100 TC owners vs. 100 CVA owners I'd bet a paycheck that a higher percentage of the TC owners hunted regularly, hunted more often and spent more time on the range. They would also be more likely to own more than one ML rifle.

I believe the TC encore for example would be a second or third ML vs. someone like me that wanted to try muzzle loading but didn't want to spend 6 or 7 hundred dollars until he knew he would get into it,hence 280.00 delivered for an Optima. I am now considering a new Encore. Shhhh my wife is in the other room!
Old 01-10-2007, 09:20 AM

That seems correct but then again lots of the experienced people on here own CVA's when I own an Omega soI don't know. It does sound plausible though.

I think all guns should handle that kindof load but I don't know if they all can. It might be rookies faults they blow up but not always. If you trust the company and gun then go ahead. I was just sharing whoI trusted and I have reasons.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

That seems correct but then again lots of the experienced people on here own CVA's when I own an Omega soI don't know. It does sound plausible though.
Herein lies the wisdom, an experienced ML'er doesn't want the bottom line BPI. He wants the best they make, if he buys one,in what ever action he prefers, ergo, for me, a Winchester Stainless Steel Apex.He wants it warranted for his life, not necessarily someone else's (2nd owners) lifetime. Maybe he wants a bargain. Like 55% off its retail value!

I think the fact that I got the top of the line Winchester and outdoorslover got the bottom of the line Omega describes what I was saying quite well.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:36 AM

This oughta get good.....
Old 01-10-2007, 11:47 AM

I meant nothing by it. I meant that the inexperienced one got the TC and the experienced got the CVA. He was saying that most inexperienced people get the CVA's soI was throwing out a different theory. I think just as many experienced people get the CVA's. They just sell more so it seems that more newbies get 'em. Most people I know would have started on that Apex and finally gotten the Omega. The belief is held by many that it's top of the line. If your belief is contrary then it's fine by me. Whatever pleases yourself. I was just offering an angle.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually you missed the point I was making entirely. I was not saying inexperienced people were attracted to BPI. I said people with no experience were attracted to BPI products and tended to learn the craft with a BPI product, often with no guidance or tuturing. It would make sense also to me that a first timer who buys a T/C probably has had some input from an experienced person who convinces him he is going to like muzzleloading and that he should just bite the bullet and skip the "starter rifle". This same person with no experience may also be the recipient of mentoring or tuturing while he learns the craft.

It is clear to me, that experienced users of BPI products are not having accidents. The folks having accidents are people with no experience, maybe even folks who use the advice of their salesperson in lieu of reading their manual. When a company caters to that entry level market, the mistakes being made with those rifles will be many orders of magnitude greater than the mistakes being made with rifles that cater to 2nd purchase or 3rd purchase rifles.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:57 PM

That sounds very logical but is not always true. I didn't quite follow the meaning of that previous post.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

That sounds very logical but is not always true. I didn't quite follow the meaning of that previous post.
I merely was saying that neither you nor I bought entry level rifles.

I beg to differ, I think it is always true that people who blow up their muzzleloaders have made tragic errors in loading.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:23 PM
Spike

i heard that the 777 pellets only 40 grains by weight i do know they are a lot shorter than pyrodex manual says 150 in pellets and 120 in loose you need to weigh a pellet to see what weight it is