HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Cayugad, whats the 100 grain limit? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/174337-cayugad-whats-100-grain-limit.html)

TXFRNTLDER 01-09-2007 12:36 AM

Cayugad, whats the 100 grain limit?

Whats the deal with only loading 100 grn. in a CVA barrel? From reading a few posts of yours theres seems to be an interesting topic here.

Zugunruhe 01-09-2007 05:56 AM

RE: Cayugad, whats the 100 grain limit?

From the CVA Wolf/Kodiak Manual:

"All CVA Break-Action In-Lines are capable of handling a "magnum"
powder charge of up to 150-grains when using pelletized powder (typically
charges of loose powder exceeding 110 grains by volume will not fully burn
in the barrel). Such "magnum" loads should never be fired in other CVA In-
Lines that do not feature the one-piece Monoblock barrel design."
1. When selecting powder loads be sure to use the correct loading data
(Section I) for your particular model of CVA In-Line.
2. "Magnum" loads for CVA in-lines are safe only when using pelletized
powder. "Magnum" loads of loose blackpowder or Pyrodex are inefficient
and are not recommended. All CVA Break-Action In-Line Muzzleloading
models are approved for use with these magnum loads. (pelletized
powder loads in excess of 100 grains.)
3. Always follow recommended loading data when selecting bullet type
and weight. When using saboted bullets and pelletized powder, maximum
bullet weight should not exceed 300 grains. With loose powder
loads, conical lead bullets should never exceed 400 grains. Heavier
bullets may produce dangerously high pressure levels, possibly resulting
in explosion of the gun and severe injury to the shooter and bystanders.
4. Always use quality #209 Primers as the ignition source when firing
pelletized powder or
magnumloads. The extra fire to the charge ensures
efficient burn of the entire charge.

lemoyne 01-09-2007 07:43 AM

A lot of people dont care for heavier loads these brands are fine for them as long as they dont make any mistakes , for instance "doubling ballings"
If you are going to shoot heavy loads or bullets or both the safty factor is much better with Knight,TC or White. Lee

todb 01-09-2007 08:03 AM

Their barrels have only been proofed to 10000 psi 150 grain loads will give you in excess of 25000 psi.

Pglasgow 01-09-2007 08:19 AM

ORIGINAL: todb

Their barrels have only been proofed to 10000 psi 150 grain loads will give you in excess of 25000 psi.
In fact, they are the only barrels which have been proofed. American muzzleloader barrels are not proofed.

100 grains of 777 in 2f granulation is allowed by the manual. This is equivalent to 115 grains of BP or RS. In terms of Peak Pressure, 110 grains of 777 is HIGHER than 150 grains of pellets. I figure, they don't want people putting 120 grains of 777 in their muzzleloaders so they limit all powders to 100 grains. If you want more energy at the muzzle just use pellets or use 777 and you will stay within the guidelines.

todb 01-09-2007 08:32 AM

It is my understanding that American builders (TC Knight White etc.)
test there guns to substantially higher pressures than there maximum
recomended loads.

Pglasgow 01-09-2007 08:45 AM

ORIGINAL: todb

It is my understanding that American builders (TC Knight White etc.)
test there guns to substantially higher pressures than there maximum
recomended loads.
None of the barrels are "proofed" the way Spanish barrels are. All manufactures, American, Spanish, Italian, Finish, Japanes, etc., have incumbent upon them, to produce rifles capable of withstanding well in excess of the maximum recommended loads. I would think, though I don't know,that every barrel fires a "proof load" before being boxed for shippment but this is not what "proofing" is and is not what the "proof mark" on a Spanish barrel means.

As far as testing to substantially higher pressures, how can you know that? If CVA doesn't make public their testing procedures, how could anyone know. We are often toldhow far American manufacturers go to test their rifles, but thats it, we are told, and its always in unscientific description, like the word, "substantially". I have yet to find any detailed description as a company release which outlines the rigors of any testing. I do though trust that everyone tests their products for safety.

MLKeith 01-09-2007 08:55 AM

Hopefully this isn't going to go on like it always does. My opinion (and yes it is just an opinion) is that the American companies at least produce the product that they sell. CVA, Traditions etc. do not produce anything; they are just marketing companies. I prefer to purchase rifles that are made by the company that stands behind the product. I had a Traditions Pursuit LT which was fair but had a terrible trigger. I managed to trade it for an NEF and am happy about the deal. As far as safety goes I agree with limiting the Spanish rifles to a little less than what they say is maximum. I usually do not shoot maximum loads in anything I own but would be comfortable doing it in the Omega or the NEF if need be. The main reason American companies do not list proof pressures is that some fool would probably try to make a load up to the proof pressure which is considerably higher than what they list as maximum loads. The Spanish "proof pressure" is a questionable thing as they are the only ones stamping in on the barrel. Apparently some legal requirement in Spain.

Pglasgow 01-09-2007 09:04 AM

ORIGINAL: MLKeith

The Spanish "proof pressure" is a questionable thing as they are the only ones stamping in on the barrel. Apparently some legal requirement in Spain.
Right, itmeans absolutely nothing in regards to the pressures they are capable of withstanding. When you have a rifle that generally ends up in the hands of a newbie, you going to get mistakes like double balling, leaving ramrods in the barrel, that kind of thing. You are going to have accidents and ruptured barrels. Its a fact of life. When a rifle costs as much as a T/C, White, or Knight. Far fewer first time muzzleloaders are using them. They will have a better safety record just because of it.

Follow your manual, follow the safe loading instructions in the manual, and there will be no problems. Go about loading a muzzleloader without a safe loading regimen or with lack of respect for the dangers, trouble is brewing.

todb 01-09-2007 09:11 AM

They have a better safety record because they are more expensive therefore newbies won't buy them. That is the lamest excuse I have ever heard.