Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Cayugad, whats the 100 grain limit? >

Cayugad, whats the 100 grain limit?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cayugad, whats the 100 grain limit?

Old 01-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Cayugad, whats the 100 grain limit?

After I load the rifle I take a piece of masking tape and wrap it level to the muzzle around the ramrod. You can then write on the tape the load and charge. Plus when you're done, the tape comes right back off. This makes an excellent witness mark and helps to insure that you are loaded properly.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

d
Old 01-09-2007, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MLKeith

I understand what you are saying but the point I tried to make; apparently not too well, was many of the manuals say 100grains or 150grains of pellets is the max load. If you try to make that equal 100grains loose 3f or 150grains loose 3f things are not the same. That is why I said make sure the load you are using is recommended for your rifle. Especially the newer owners that have not had a lot of time with the sport might be confused.
Fair enough. You know I was surprised to find the 100 grain limitation on loose in my Apex manual. Kinda peeved me at first. But after realizing that the manual allowed100 grains2f 777, I calmed right down. In terms of muzzle velocity, and pressure,this charge is generally equivalent to between 115 and 120 grains of RS. Then it occurred to me that they don't want to distinguish between powders or granulations. All this makes sense because peak pressures with 100 grains 2f 777 are comparable to the peak pressures using 3 50 grain pellets. But don't think for minute, though,that 3 50 grain pellets are just as safe as 100 grains. There is more yield in the pellets and more potential for higher pressures when things go wrong.

As far as 3f goes, I use it, but it is prohibited in this and every other rifle I've ever owned, in so far as the manufactures haven't listed 3f granulation as recommended in the manual. Everyone is kind of on their own on this one, because using 3f granulation is, in theory,a violation of the manual's recommendations. At the very least, reduce the maximum charge by a minimum of 10% by volume when using 3f granulations.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:33 PM

Ok if you say that 150 in pellet form & 100 in loose form in 2f ,what is the same load in 3f loose powder t7 ,I am getting confused?
Old 01-09-2007, 05:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Pella hunter

Ok if you say that 150 in pellet form & 100 in loose form in 2f ,what is the same load in 3f loose powder t7 ,I am getting confused?
And that.... Is why i use pyrodex RS lol. Besides it being cheaper and doesnt leave a crud ring. 150 mag loads are really a waste, i got good groups, but not anything to wet my pants and roll around on the floor giggling like a school girl over. I found my rifles sweet spot is 120grains rs loose. My flintlock likes 110 grains fffg goex.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pella hunter

The 3f 777 is not recommended by the manufucture Pella hunter. If you wish to use 3f, I'd recommend reducing your 2f 777 charge by at least 10%. Even so, you do so without the support of your manual. So you are on your own using 3f.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:32 PM

I would never load more than 100 grains in a CVA. I have trust in the TC's though. I have loaded magnum loads in themand never had a problem. It's all about trust because the CVA's have had so many barrels blow up. If you wanna try it be my guest but I wouldn't in those guns. Why risk it? I don't think they've really tested those guns like the TC's. That's my two cents.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:46 PM

watch it there youngin, you're talking about barrels blowing up when you dont know any info on it, only what randy wakeman says. And noone, not even TC will tell you what they test their barrels at. BPI/cva have come a long way since those cva apollo's. I've shot a few hundred magnum loads out of my bpi and still doing it. i own 6 BPI products and one cva thats over 20 years old.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:15 PM

frontier gander I am not saying I use 3f t7 in my rifles because I do not ,I use pyrodex select 2f , I use the 3 f in my revolver .What i guess I ment was could you use 3f in rifles & is there some sort of conversion to use it.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:24 PM

yeah u can use 3f in your rifle. Im not exactly sure how much you should cut your charge back. my traditions manual says 105fffg tops and 110 ffg max. Im over loading with the 3f but i only shoot round ball and out of the hundreds of rounds, she keeps shooting beautifully.

Quick Reply: Cayugad, whats the 100 grain limit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.