Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knock down power

Old 11-23-2006, 10:59 AM

Default RE: Knock down power

Thats what I was looking for!
Thank You very much,

Jeremie

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Doing some basic ballistics using .206 as the BC and 1850 as the fps, the Barnes needs 1100 fps to fully expand so is claimed. Due to all of this and the energy of the projectile, I would not recommend shooting the rifle at deer size animals past 275 yards. This would keep you at the necessary fps and energy levels to still make a clean kill. Also remember, as the Barnes expands, due to the copper make up of the projectile, if folds back into numerous razor sharp edges... So if you want to shoot 200 yards, practice and then have at it.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Crimson1,

This ballistics chart should be close. When you test, though, quite probable thatthere will be differences. I'd say that load is very very deadly to 200 yards on a well placed shot. Good luck with that.

Lee,

I think your correct. To spill an animal where it stands usually requires breaking something or a spinal shot. In theory, it is possible impart momentum to an animal. But even while an animal may catch a bullet and absorb all its momentum, it does not all go into moving the animal as much of the momentum is consumed in tissue destructionand bullet expansion.

I have only seen one deer fall as a consequence (looked like it anyway, saw it on tv and I'm not sure, but I think it was hit with a ML bullet) of momentum imparted by the bullet. The bullet passed through on abroadside shotand the deer didn't seem to so much as flinch. Just started slowly drifting over until it was to far off balance to stand. Its legs were still stiff when it toppled. The whole process took like6 to 10 seconds. Was pretty cool to see.

Old 11-24-2006, 08:34 PM

You shouldn't have any problem whatsoever. With several elk we have taken with this bullet, it seems theyexpand ideally at longer ranges. The ones we dug out of elk at 175 and 211 yards were folded out likea fan blade. The ones at close range tended to fold back against the shank and break off a petal or two- without coming apart. These were all bullets launched at around 2,000 to 2,100 fps. Overall, this is one of the most lethal muzzleloading bullets ever devised.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:57 AM

I agree, I shot a nice doe yesterday at 100yds. She was slightly quartering to me, the barnes struck her left side taking out one lung and continuing on through the liver, complete pass through. The doe was standing on top of a hill when I sqeezed the trigger, by the time the smoke cleared she had ROLLED to the bottm of the hill and was dead. This was only the second animal I have harvested with this setup, but DANG
I have yet to contact any major bone of anykind, but still get bang flop results! The shock factor these barnes put on deer is devasting, the internal organs that I have hit, heart, lung,liver on the 2 deer I have shot have been devasted. Not just a hole, but a massive wound channel. I'm sold thats for sure, I would recommend these things to anyone.

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

You shouldn't have any problem whatsoever. With several elk we have taken with this bullet, it seems theyexpand ideally at longer ranges. The ones we dug out of elk at 175 and 211 yards were folded out likea fan blade. The ones at close range tended to fold back against the shank and break off a petal or two- without coming apart. These were all bullets launched at around 2,000 to 2,100 fps. Overall, this is one of the most lethal muzzleloading bullets ever devised.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

DELETED
Old 11-25-2006, 05:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

cayugad,I have also had that heart shot go 100 yds year before last, I believe if you hit the heart it releases all the adrenalne in the body and they run wide open as long as they last. Since my property is covered with brush and woods I try to place my shot well enough to see where they drop but the same spot gives an excellant blood trail shooting down from a high tree stand,its always noticeable that the blood trail is on the lower exit side to. Lee
lately,i have been taking neck shots on my bucks..if a buck runs now from shot behind sholder, which most do,you can lose your deer to another hunter..

sad,isnt it that you have to worry if your deer will be taken by another hunter..it never used to be that way but is getting more common now..

i shoot at base of neck and usually the buck drops ..behind sholder, get reay to track and possibly argue over who,s deer it is..
Old 11-25-2006, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

I have a friend that shoot's his bucks at the base of the neck as you do with the same results. He swears it's like flipping a switch on their nervous system.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: tkstae

I have a friend that shoot's his bucks at the base of the neck as you do with the same results. He swears it's like flipping a switch on their nervous system.
i HIGHLY suggest if you are hunting where there are other hunters,take your time, squeeze, and shoot in neck..i was out today here in pa and hunters i am seeing are DESPERATE for adeer..i knew that would happen also..

shooting behind shoulder, you are going to lose it..no one around, put it behind shoulder..