Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Range or Knock Down Power >

Range or Knock Down Power

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Range or Knock Down Power

Old 12-07-2006, 12:46 PM

Default Range or Knock Down Power

Here is the question that I ponder every year prior to the ML season. Maybe you fellas can shed some light on this question.What is the greatest asset to a Muzzleloader hunter (Range or Knockdown Power)

Powder Chargeis irrelevant:
Option 1:
A 250 grain sabot for a 150yrdrange
(with the option of having to track a trophy buck )

Option 2;
A 295-300 grain Sabot for a75 yrd range
(A short range and a drop in your tracks kinda round)

Pointrunner
Old 12-07-2006, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Range or Knock Down Power

My rule of thumb is touse the biggest, baddest bullet that will shoot the farthest in a nice straight line or medium trajectory- with the largestpossible powder grain size that's 120 grains or below with pellets -- 110 grains or below with loose powder.

You really don't need alot of powder to harvest deer out to 150 yards. Plus.... the bullets usually cost the same for any grain size - so why not use the biggest one offered - provided it's accurate?? I use a 400+ grain bullet while only averaging 75 grains of 777 to get er' done in the woods for 150 yard purposes.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

For me its accuracy the rest falls into place after that. I would much rather use a 300 gr bullet with a lighter charge that shoots 1" groups then a 250 class with a heavier charge that shoot inconsistant or larger groups. I have used 250 class bullets the most for deer sized game and never had a problem with accuracy, range or terminal performance. I have also used 300 and 400 class bullets for deer and the same could be said of them. It boiled down to gun and personal preference. I take accuracy 1st then look at performance (ballistical, construction, intended use and situation) to come up with a medium to meet my needs.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:51 PM
Dominant Buck

I thing a lot of the new projectiles like the Barnes and Nosler give the best of both worlds actually, but because of where I live range is not important as accuracy. I need a projectile that is accurate to 100 yards with as much knock down planting power it can have. If they run off on me, the work ahead really makes you appreciate the deer you harvest.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

460 to 500 gr conical - it has worked for me from 7 yds to 142 yds (dropped in its tracks)

Steve
Old 12-07-2006, 05:38 PM

for 150 yard shots i use 120 grains pyrodex RS with a 245 grain powerbelt. Those shots are very long with open sights and if you are able to use a scope, thats even better. 250 grain bullet should and willdo the job if you place the shot well.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

often what you are shooting at makes a differance for a bigger animal a heavy bullet will give more penatration.
That said deer are not big animalsif big game is considered and the tree or the ground behind the deer is not going to help bring the deer down how much energy you release in the deer and the size of the exit hole is important.
Of all my muzzleloaders nothing else stop a deer better or leaves a better blood trail than my long barreled 54 with 120gr RS and a round ball. The best load for doing the same so far in an inline has been 150 gr and a 230gr XTP. Lee