Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 SIGHTING IN YOUR FLINTLOCK >

SIGHTING IN YOUR FLINTLOCK

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

SIGHTING IN YOUR FLINTLOCK

Old 11-22-2006, 09:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default SIGHTING IN YOUR FLINTLOCK

hey folks,getting ready for opener here in pa..as i use open sights i can group my shots at 25 yds almost in same holes with295 powerbelt in my .50 cal hawkins.

as we cant see the target well at 100 yds to be able to accuratly shoot gun in to hit center,can your open sight muzz be sighted in at 25yds and be expected to hit center and group wellat 100 yds..

or what is best way to sight your open sight muzz in so you get goodaccurate shot from 25 to 100.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: SIGHTING IN YOUR FLINTLOCK

sproulman - I would suggest getting yourself a pack of 6" orange self sticking targets to shoot at at 100 yds. You should be able to see them. That way you will have a good idea where your particular load combo hits.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:54 AM
Dominant Buck

I start out at 13 yards and want the rifle dead on. Then back to 25 yards to see where they hit. Since you have done all of that, you're ready to increase the distance. Next I move to 50 yards and shoot there. I like to put a white paper plate on a cardboard box. It shows up great, and I aim dead center on the plate to see where the rifle hits. If you like a finer point of aim, tape a multi colored 3x5 index card to the center of the plate. I often shoot index cards. I then move back to 70 yards and make sure I can place them at that distance.

Then to make sure I can if I have to, I shoot at 100 yards with my flintlock. I pay very special attention to my point of aim and trigger squeeze and again, shoot at that plate. If you can place them in that plate, you can hit the deer in the heart lung area. I like to add the index card at the longer distances to give mea POI.

Also those stick on bulls work real good. I have a pack of them when I shoot at paper targets. I have the 1", 2" & 3". The 3" in the center of that plate sticks out like a sore thumb. I rest my front site at 100 yards cutting that circle in half and fire. Normally I can hit that 3" bull or just on the outside edge.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

you believe i had another bear in my yard again after season closed wednesday..my dog went after it,i would say about 300 pd bear..;last year i had 350 pd and 500 pd bear in yard AFTER SEASON CLOSE..

back to topic, i went out and did real gfood, thanks for 13 yd idea..my v-peep front sight is green,those orange stick ons did not work with green front sight..

so i took pie plate idea and took magic BLACK marker and colored in the 3 inch orange stick on..that worked great..

boy, that was sweet at 100 yards..i used the 6 ,oclock hold on as said the half hold..

i still get best groups with 80 grs of 2f,50 cal hawkins flintlock with 295 powerbelt..i have not tried the 348 pb but that is same length as my OLD MAXI-BALL 370 ..

so, 348 may be better than using the 295..but i like 295..
Old 11-24-2006, 06:21 PM
Dominant Buck

glad to hear the rifle is shooting so well for you. Don't you ever wonder why the bear wait until after season to come to the yards and cause troube.... So far this deer season I have not spotted a bear. I think the RED ARMY has them pushed way back into the forest. Which is fine with me..

Again, good shooting and good luck.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: sproulman

hey folks,getting ready for opener here in pa..as i use open sights i can group my shots at 25 yds almost in same holes with295 powerbelt in my .50 cal hawkins.

as we cant see the target well at 100 yds to be able to accuratly shoot gun in to hit center,can your open sight muzz be sighted in at 25yds and be expected to hit center and group wellat 100 yds..

or what is best way to sight your open sight muzz in so you get goodaccurate shot from 25 to 100.
NO! A 25-yard zero is insufficient to guarantee where it will hit at a greater range. There's just no known substitute for confirming your zero by shooting at the greater distance........ Tried it several times-it just doesn't work out!
Old 11-25-2006, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am also going to be hunting Greene County, PA this year. I have a Lyman flinter. I put the Lyman peep sight on my rifle. Shots out to 150 yards are no problem with this sight. If you want to stay completely primitive change your front sight to ivory, and your back sight to a full buckhorn. 100 yards should be no problem with this set-up. Even with my old eyes. Tom.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

I am also going to be hunting Greene County, PA this year. I have a Lyman flinter. I put the Lyman peep sight on my rifle. Shots out to 150 yards are no problem with this sight. If you want to stay completely primitive change your front sight to ivory, and your back sight to a full buckhorn. 100 yards should be no problem with this set-up. Even with my old eyes. Tom.
sadly you cant use a peep or aperature sight here in pa. in the late muzzleloader season..wco stopped me last year in late season and was looking at my sights and said some are putting on peep sights..

mine was ok but its not a aperature sight..
Old 11-25-2006, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been using one in PA for 30 years. But I will admit, I have never been stopped. My Father-in-law is a WV officer. He said he could not find anywhere in writing where the peep would be illegal. But as I said he is WV, and I have never been checked in PA. Tom.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

I have been using one in PA for 30 years. But I will admit, I have never been stopped. My Father-in-law is a WV officer. He said he could not find anywhere in writing where the peep would be illegal. But as I said he is WV, and I have never been checked in PA. Tom.
tom, its in your rule book ,the only time i was checked here in pa. is during the late flintlock season..

i think they need to change that rule because a better shot on deer is good thing..i was terrible shot until i changed to fiber optic sights, now i am not too bad and aim for neck, if other hunters are around..