HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Knock down power
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2006, 10:41 AM
Pglasgow
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Knock down power

Crimson1,

This ballistics chart should be close. When you test, though, quite probable thatthere will be differences. I'd say that load is very very deadly to 200 yards on a well placed shot. Good luck with that.

Lee,

I think your correct. To spill an animal where it stands usually requires breaking something or a spinal shot. In theory, it is possible impart momentum to an animal. But even while an animal may catch a bullet and absorb all its momentum, it does not all go into moving the animal as much of the momentum is consumed in tissue destructionand bullet expansion.

I have only seen one deer fall as a consequence (looked like it anyway, saw it on tv and I'm not sure, but I think it was hit with a ML bullet) of momentum imparted by the bullet. The bullet passed through on abroadside shotand the deer didn't seem to so much as flinch. Just started slowly drifting over until it was to far off balance to stand. Its legs were still stiff when it toppled. The whole process took like6 to 10 seconds. Was pretty cool to see.