Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knock down power

Old 11-23-2006, 06:56 AM

Default Knock down power

I'm shooting the 250gr Barnes MZ's over 100grs of APP Gold 3F loose. This load is very accurate for me out of my omega. My question is how much knock down power do you think this load will have out past 150yds. I'm 4'' low at 160, just worried about how much steam that big hollow point is going to have after it gets that far.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Knock down power

this formula is the best I have found for comparing "knock down" power of muzzleloading bullets: http://www.loadammo.com/Topics/July02.htm

Of course you will need a ballistics chart to tell you the remaining velocity at different distances.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

I guess I don'y believe in knock down power as such; if you place your arrow or bullet in the right spot they are going down in about 40 yds,the same spot is good for pass through. I got 7 this year got lucky and got 2 refuge permits and a suburban permit and I still have one left on my state permit two went about 20 the rest went about 40 most were take with bow one with crossbow one with muzzle loader, I wait for a broad side shot and hit the back edge of the shoulder a couple inches above the heart where all the blood vessels come together this spot also gets both lungs. If knock down power actually worked you would drop them on the spot with out hitting the spine or brain[ my opinion for what its worth] Lee
Old 11-23-2006, 09:23 AM
Dominant Buck

The term Knock Down is kind of misleading. I've shot a lot of animals and some did drop where they stood. Normally this was because of where the bullet hit and what it shattered or broke. For instance, neck shots, spine shots, all of these areas break the animal down. You are disrupting major bone and nerve groups with these hits.

I've even had a few major organ shots where the animal dropped. Perhaps I got lucky and caught the animal at the right time with no air on the lungs, or again shocked something enough that once the animal fell, it lacked the strength to get back up.

Then of course, all of us have put what we felt perfect shots on them. In fact I shot a small buck one year in the heart, I knew it. I was positive of my shot placement. There was snow on the ground and the mess where he WAS standing was incredible. Just looking at it, I knew it was dead and very close. Over a 100 yards later, walking a blood trail a blind man could follow, there he lay. How that deer managed to run that far is beyond me.

The 250 Barnes MZ's will give you excellent penetration and expansion. The wound channel through the deer will amaze you. A friend shot a does at 60 yards two or threeyears ago with a 300 grain Barnes and I've seldom saw that kind of damage inside a body cavityfrom a bullet. Whether it will knock the animal over, is impossible to say. It will depend on where it hits and what it breaks down. I think the Barnes is a definite long range projectile you have there. I will looks for some ballistics on it just to see the kind of down range energy it retains...
Old 11-23-2006, 09:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

cayugad,I have also had that heart shot go 100 yds year before last, I believe if you hit the heart it releases all the adrenalne in the body and they run wide open as long as they last. Since my property is covered with brush and woods I try to place my shot well enough to see where they drop but the same spot gives an excellant blood trail shooting down from a high tree stand,its always noticeable that the blood trail is on the lower exit side to. Lee
Old 11-23-2006, 09:37 AM

I guess I should not have used the words "knock Down". That wasn't really what I was asking, I should have asked if the big MZ hollow points would still carry enough steam to adequatly take down a deer at 150+yds. The buck I posted a pictue of the other day was shot in the heart at 45ydsor so with the MZ, when the smoke cleared his head and chest were flat on the ground and his butt was still in the air,he then just fell over dead. when I dressed him out the damage to the heart was VERY impressive to say the least! Sorry about the wording in my post!

ORIGINAL: cayugad

The term Knock Down is kind of misleading. I've shot a lot of animals and some did drop where they stood. Normally this was because of where the bullet hit and what it shattered or broke. For instance, neck shots, spine shots, all of these areas break the animal down. You are disrupting major bone and nerve groups with these hits.

I've even had a few major organ shots where the animal dropped. Perhaps I got lucky and caught the animal at the right time with no air on the lungs, or again shocked something enough that once the animal fell, it lacked the strength to get back up.

Then of course, all of us have put what we felt perfect shots on them. In fact I shot a small buck one year in the heart, I knew it. I was positive of my shot placement. There was snow on the ground and the mess where he WAS standing was incredible. Just looking at it, I knew it was dead and very close. Over a 100 yards later, walking a blood trail a blind man could follow, there he lay. How that deer managed to run that far is beyond me.

The 250 Barnes MZ's will give you excellent penetration and expansion. The wound channel through the deer will amaze you. A friend shot a does at 60 yards two or threeyears ago with a 300 grain Barnes and I've seldom saw that kind of damage inside a body cavityfrom a bullet. Whether it will knock the animal over, is impossible to say. It will depend on where it hits and what it breaks down. I think the Barnes is a definite long range projectile you have there. I will looks for some ballistics on it just to see the kind of down range energy it retains...
Old 11-23-2006, 10:21 AM
Dominant Buck

I shoot the Barnes 250 MZ's out of my Knight Rifles. I have yet to get a deer with them as I might only hunt a day or two a season with each rifle, but I have never doubted their ability. To knock one down that fast that he is still part way on his feet, says a lot for the projectile.. Nice shooting.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

No such thing as APP Gold. There's APP - then there's Shockeys Gold.

If you are concerned about velocity/energy, then why aren't you using 777 powder?
Old 11-23-2006, 10:30 AM

Sorry, Shockeys Gold. I'm not asking about the powder, just about the ballistics of such a big hollow point thats all.

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

No such thing as APP Gold. There's APP - then there's Shockeys Gold.

If you are concerned about velocity/energy, then why aren't you using 777 powder?
Old 11-23-2006, 10:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Doing some basic ballistics using .206 as the BC and 1850 as the fps, the Barnes needs 1100 fps to fully expand so is claimed. Due to all of this and the energy of the projectile, I would not recommend shooting the rifle at deer size animals past 275 yards. This would keep you at the necessary fps and energy levels to still make a clean kill. Also remember, as the Barnes expands, due to the copper make up of the projectile, if folds back into numerous razor sharp edges... So if you want to shoot 200 yards, practice and then have at it.

Quick Reply: Knock down power

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.