Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 And another state has done it right.....Minnesota >

And another state has done it right.....Minnesota

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

And another state has done it right.....Minnesota

Old 10-16-2006, 10:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: And another state has done it right.....Minnesota

Well to muddy up the already muddy water; someone mentioned that all shotgun shell boxes have a black powder dram equivalent posted. Does that in fact make the smokeless powder in the shotgun shell a "blackpowder substitute". In Arizona they specifically state that nitrocellulous powder is not legal which leaves little to argue about IMHO.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Boy this post was interesting reading. I agree with Cayugad that the state(s) shouldn't change past practice if it effects the hunters. Why not do what PA did? Many years ago they started a TRADITIONAL MUZZLELOADER Season. You could only use (and still can only use) a rifle of .44 cal or larger, buckhorn type sights and flintlock ignition. Originally they required the use of patch and ball only but changed to use of any projectile. A couple of years ago when the game commission decided to reduce the herd the opened up an early muzzleloader season which allows the use of any muzzleloader .44 cal or larger. This included inlines, percussion sidelocks and flinters. The season goes from Saturday to Saturday in October and overlaps the archery season and is for anterless only with the proper anterless license. This seemed to satisfy everyone - except the deer.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMHO, those IDAHO rules are poor at best. They are too limiting on the caliber/projectile requirements and just what is "synthetic black powder"? Is that phrase defined?

All this hoopla, nonsenseand argument is going to accomplish is damage to our sport at best, federalization of rules at WORST!

There are wacko extremists on both sides of this non-issue who see nothing but their side as righteous. Mostly it's about the "I wants" of those extremists. The vast majority of us are probably happy to hunt with a muzzleloader of any sort and see the noisemakers as nothing but trouble. My thinking is we should live and let live before this thing goes in a direction that none of us would have wanted.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well said UC. My very thoughts.

Al
Old 10-19-2006, 12:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

IMHO, those IDAHO rules are poor at best. They are too limiting on the caliber/projectile requirements and just what is "synthetic black powder"? Is that phrase defined?

All this hoopla, nonsenseand argument is going to accomplish is damage to our sport at best, federalization of rules at WORST!

There are wacko extremists on both sides of this non-issue who see nothing but their side as righteous. Mostly it's about the "I wants" of those extremists. The vast majority of us are probably happy to hunt with a muzzleloader of any sort and see the noisemakers as nothing but trouble. My thinking is we should live and let live before this thing goes in a direction that none of us would have wanted.
PM sent your way!
Old 10-19-2006, 07:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

UC

Correct but is that inline (no pun intended)with what roundball might want???

I am not much of a fan of of some of the rules either, but I have to function within them. The one thing it seems to that it does is give the traditional hunter some of what they might want.