Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 New York State Hunters!(State Land) >

New York State Hunters!(State Land)

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

New York State Hunters!(State Land)

Old 11-25-2003, 07:02 AM

Default New York State Hunters!(State Land)

Hey,
All you New york state Hunters,Hows the hunting going? Just want to know who is hunting state land how good you are doing and what location on state land you are hunting. Anyone hunt in Sundown NY? I' ve got to find another place to hunt. Iam not having any luck where Iam hunting now,which is private land. Its been like this for the past 3 years. I' ve got permits for the 3j area. Any BUCK will do!!!! ha! ha! Thanks
Old 11-25-2003, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New York State Hunters!(State Land)

RobMack

There is alot of state land around.

You can hunt Hickock Brook which is over in Barryville (3k), you can also hunt in Bashakill WMA, which is just off of Rt. 17 in Wurtsboro.

How about Bear Spring WMA over in Walton. I here that is pretty good. Also check out Lake Superior State Park off of Rt. 17B in Monticello.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

In area 3J you can hunt Minnewaska State Park. I took a 7 pointer on Monday there and we know there is a 4 pointer still running round there. You have to hunt deep, we were at least 1.25 miles from the parking lot.
For next year, check out the N.Y. watershed web site, they are letting hunters deer hunt on the water supply land. All you have to do is apply for the access permits and hunting permit - no cost.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/watershe...ecreation.html
Old 11-25-2003, 10:47 AM

Warren,
Is there a lot of other hunters hunting them area' s on state land? Do you hunt from a stand or on the ground? I would be hunting by myself.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:35 PM
Fork Horn

robmack57
Opening day there were a few hunters near the parking lot and along the paths. We saw no one on the hillside we were hunting on Monday Tuesday or Friday.
I try to sit in the morning and evening and still hunt mid-day. Later in the season we usually have the place to ourselves. I' ve taken several deer during mid-day.
Opening day it took me longer to get back to the area I wanted to hunt so I still hunted my way up the last hill side and shot the 7 pointer before I reached my stand site. it was 5 minutes to 8am.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:01 AM

Warren,
The thing I don' t like about still hunting is that some trigger happy hunter my start shooting,This is the major problem I have hunting on state or public lands. Your stand site,is that in a tree or on the ground? I think I know what still hunting is,But would you please give me your defination?
Old 11-26-2003, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

robmack57;
I' ve been deer hunting on state/public land since 1968. I hunt away from where most hunters are so I have never worried about being shot at. To play it safe, I also always wear a hunter orange hat and vest. Most hunters stay close to their car, so you can figure where they will be.
I used to use a tree stand but I' ve had just as much luck(or no luck) on the ground. Carrying a climbing tree stand and a full days food and gear gets old after a while plus its easier to relocate your stand location when your on the ground.
As far as still hunting, It' s been my experience that after the shooting starts the deer head for thick cover. During mid-day they may brouse along the heavy cover where they can jump to safety quickly. I slowly travel along these edges and try to spot the deer before it spots me. If you scare off the squirrels then your moving too fast.