Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Smokeless Powder in Wisconsin >

Smokeless Powder in Wisconsin

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Smokeless Powder in Wisconsin

Old 10-17-2006, 08:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Smokeless Powder in Wisconsin

When I make a mistake which can effect others, I like to bring it out in the open and make sure that everyone is now clear on the pointwhich was under confussion. In this case, I stated that Wisconsindid not allow the use of smokeless powder in muzzleloaders during the muzzleloader season.

Redclub was kind enough to point out the mistake I made when I stated Wisconsin did not allow smokeless powder. I guess since the idea never effected me, I never really paid it any attention and never realized they had changed the law.

Well this morning I was called by a representative of the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources from the head offices in Madison. According to the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (as Redclub pointed out) smokeless powder is perfectly legal to use during muzzleloader season in Wisconsin.

The DNR representative explained, if the powder can load through the muzzle it is legal to use in the State of Wisconsin. I told him I was surprised by this change in attitude from the State. We then discussed a lot of the other current powders on the market today. As he explained it was decided that Pyrodex, Triple Se7en and some other powders were less smokeless then Goex or black powders and they saw no difference with the modern powder used in such rifles as the Savage.

He again pointed it must be loaded through the muzzle and he added that many rifles on the current market are not rated or certified for the use of smokeless powders. He said the only rifle he personally was aware of that used smokeless powder was the Savage. I told him their may indeed be other makes and models out there, but since I did not really get into the smokeless powder muzzleloader sport I was not up on the different models out there.

We then discussed some of the velocities that these new rifles can reach and some of the projectiles they can shoot. To this he seemed to express that the selection of firearms was the choice of the hunter. If they wished to hunt with some of the more modern powders, it was their choice. Just as if they decided to hunt with the more tradtional rifles available.

I was left with the impression from this person that the State of Wisconisin wishing to be fair to all hunters in regards to muzzleloader powders decided they would open the options of powders to include smokeless. The Statewanted to let the hunter decided what was best equipmentfor themselves to use,to get the most enjoyment out of their sport.

Redclub I appreciate you pointing out my mistake.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Smokeless Powder in Wisconsin

Thanks cayagad for doing such a fine job of checking it out.
As you know I have 3 Whites and they are my rifles of choice.
I do have a couple other smokers too.
I also own a Savage and have taken several deer with it.
What I usually use the Savage for is the extreme weather we can get here in Wi. during the ML season (DEC.) . If its realnasty then the Savage comes out. Otherwise the Whites.
Again thanks for the homework.
Redclub
Old 10-18-2006, 02:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Another interesting development is that a couple of years back, the State of New York changed their regulations and now permit the use of scopes during the ML season. It appears that, although their ML season may have been introduced initially as a "special season" for old-fashion type weapons, the NY Dept. of Env. Conservation now regardit primarily as another management tool to try to reduce theherd sizeinwhere there are too many deer....
Old 10-18-2006, 03:10 PM
Dominant Buck

eldeguello

I think a lot of States, Wisconsin included, were hoping for some of the same managementeffect. While it has been years since I hunted the southern end of the State where the chronic waste disease outbreak occurred, the DNR was attempting a total extermination of sorts of the deer herd down there in areas. Muzzleloader season was just one more additional way to kill off the area herds.

The fact is, when Redclub told me smokeless powder was legal. I was shocked. I really never saw the postings he mentioned, that permitted it. Like I said, while it does not effect me, and I really do not have a problem with it, I start to wonder .... what is next for the muzzleloader season.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:28 AM
Fork Horn

Cayagad
Whats next in WI. is going to be scopes. TB has drawn a lot of press in WI. newspapers and the DNR says the deer herd can sustain it.
With over 500,000 deer killed and only 7500 by ML they have no problem. The DNR states that the season was set with the Wis. ML assn.
Since then they have added inlines 1x scopes and Smokeless. They also went to a 10 day season,only 1 thing left and that is scopes.
For me I really like having the woods all to myself so I don't like it,but that is changing
Where I hunt in No. Wi. quite a few locals are taking it up and they are shooting some large bucks. The deer seem to be settling down and going back to normal behavior.
RC
Old 10-20-2006, 12:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Statewanted to let the hunter decided what was best equipmentfor themselves to use,to get the most enjoyment out of their sport.
Novel concept..wouldn't itbe something if others did the same[8D]!

I feel like your DNR rep if itloads via the muzzle it is in fact a muzzleloader. Here we can use whateverwe choose for propellant, bullet, scope as long as it loads from the muzzle and contains a seperate priming system it is legal and deemed a ML for the regular ML seasons set forth by our DNR. I own traditional, sub inlines and a savage, I like and enjoy them all. I have shot 1 doe with the savage and many deer, 1 black bear and2 bull moose with the others. I bought the savage b/c it was something totally different and was hoping to get drawn this year for antelopeto use it for that purpose(didn't pan out). I plan on using it forelk and mooseduring regular rifle season, once I get more familar with it and try some different load combos. It has some nice benefits but still work to get it to print, just like my inlines. Is it better IMHO no butdifferent and that is whatI was looking for as I already have a couple fine inlines.