Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Small caliber in-lines >

Small caliber in-lines

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Small caliber in-lines

Old 03-08-2006, 10:29 AM

Default Small caliber in-lines

Has anyone out thereever seen any modern in-lines with a small caliber bore? ( .32 or .36 cal.) I've been looking for a small game shotgun ml'er for some time but can't find anything I like and it ocoured to me no one makes any modern small cal. guns!
Old 03-08-2006, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Small caliber in-lines

grapeshot,
I know at one time you could order specific calibers through Knight. This .36cal Knight Wolverine was special ordered with just a phone call. I don't remember if I talked to Mike Murphy or Mike Matley....this was years ago and I don't know if either of them still works for Knight.
It doesn't hurt to give them a call. 641-856-2626

You can give Fox Ridge (T/C custom shop) a try too. 1-800-243-4570
Good Luck and let us know what you find out.

Old 03-08-2006, 10:50 AM
Dominant Buck

I think the reason you see this is most of the inline rifles on the market are developed with faster twists in mind to take advantage of the conical and sabot market. Most of the very small caliber such as the .32 & .36 are more a roundball type barrel and therefore are more common place among the traditional rifles. If you want to shoot a .36 caliber level projectile out of an inline, get a .45 caliber and load a .357 projectile. That's about as close as you might get.

I did hear once that Knight was thinking of making a small caliber inline but I never heard any more about it since.. Try a traditional rifle if you have a chance. You might find a whole new passion in muzzleloaders.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:10 AM

I have had an idea floating around in my head for several years about making up an insert that would fit into a .50 or .54 in-line barrel to adapt it to .32 or .36 caliber. The outside diameter of the full length barrel insert would be a close slip fit inside the larger barrel and bepolished. The back of the insert would be threaded the same as the original breech plug and screw into the original barrel from the back.The insert would subsequently have an smaller (3/8 X 18 TPI?) breech plug of its own. I think this could be done for around $150 to $200, labor and materials.

This, however, has never been done to my knowledge. So if you try it and blow your gun up - I'm not signing for any certified mail from the Law Firm of Dewey, Cheatham, and Howe.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Green Mountain makes a Knight Disc .32

http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/Fieldtests6.html

Might bankrupta fellerthough!

Here's another .32 inline:

Code:35682
Manufacturer:THOMPSON CENTER
Model:SYSTEM 1
Action:MUZZLELOAD: LON
Caliber:32 CAL BP
Price:$299.95
Features:NEW IN BOX.,,
Condition:100%

E-Mail Address:
[email protected]

I don't know why that was so spread out! didn't enter it that way....?

Old 03-09-2006, 08:44 PM
Spike

Hi grapeshot,
Try haunting the gunshops and the auction sites in search of a T/C System 1. It's alot like a walnut &blueBlack Diamondbut with replaceable barrels. Among them was a .32 and a 12 gauge (you said something about a shotgun in your post). I've got one with both .32 and 12 gauge barrelsand love it. The .32 has the 1-in-48 twist and shoots PRB like a .22RF. I generally shoot very light 15 gr. loads of Pyrodex Pto duplicate .22RF performance and the thing will drive tacks all afternoon without cleaning.

My other .32 is a Cherokee which I cannot shoot nearly as well. The .32 System 1 has the heft and muzzle heavy hang of a full sized rifle and settles down on the target alot better than the muchlighter Cherokee, which seems more of a woman's or child's rifle. It also has better sights than the Cherokee. The Cherokee wins big in the looks dept. however.

Another nice thing about the System 1 is its modern safety. It's a couple of steps above the sidelock with its halfcock notch.

Earlier this week a used System 1 package with .32, .50 and .54 barrels went for $255 on Gunbroker. I've seen another listing where a NIB .32 barrel alone is listed for $250 (which is way high in my mind). You might check DGW or Natchez to see if they might still have a new System 1 in stock. Seemed like they were carrying them long after TC ceased production. Never understood why they weren't more popular.
Bob
Old 03-09-2006, 08:47 PM
Spike

Just saw underclocked's post. Grab that thing if you can, grapeshot. You won't be sorry.
Bob
Old 03-10-2006, 10:21 AM

Thanks all for reply's. You just opened up a few more doors for me! The reason I'm looking for something modern because of my location. I've searched every gun shop in Quebec for traditional guns in 50 caliber and the only place I found one was a lyman gpr w/ a synthetic stock! that looked downright WRONG. All the travelling gunshows that passed me by were loaded with traditional guns of all calibers but, they were well over my price range (300-500$ Canadian). Even used, there were tons in my price range but they all required some sort of repair and I'm no machinist or carpentor. Modern just seems more available north o' the border. Even modern bp shotguns, all the dealers I've spoken with refuse to carry even one! They think it'll sit in their inventory forever. Again thanks all!