Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Small caliber ML?

Old 12-21-2006, 09:23 AM

Default Small caliber ML?

I have been shooting a lot of bushy tails this year. And the other day when I was out, I got to thinking. A small caliber ML for squirell would be very fun. So I got home, cleaned my rats, and then starte doing some searching on the net. I came accross a few articles. I found a few talking about .32 and .36 cal ML, and a few that discussed using a 50 or 54 and "barking" them. My curiosity perked up over the small caliber numbers, so I started looking for one. I came accros one, but at $400, it was too pricey. Is anyone aware of a samll caliber ML that won't break the bank? Like in the $200-$300 range. Thankls for any advice or input.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Small caliber ML?

Check the Tradition's Crockett Rifle. It is a .32 caliber and has some good, some bad reviews. I've personally never shot one.

Another option is get a T/C Renegade in an auction site, then get a GMB in .32 or better yet .40 caliber and use that. Now that rifle should be very accurate and do the job. The reason I would go with the .40 over the .32 is they do not fowl out as fast, the ball is only a little bigger mind you, they are actually legal for deer in some States, and can be used for things like coyotes and fox as well..... Just some thoughts. Plus you have the Renegade if you want to bark them.

By the way I have shot squirrel with a .50 caliber using patched ball for years. Last year I was shooting them with a .50 caliber inline using roundball. The inline had a scope.

Another option is a smooth bore .62 caliber. 80 grain of Goex and 100 grains of #6 shot. Knocks them right out of the tree and is good for grouse and turkey if you can get close enough.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: longrifle1000

I have been shooting a lot of bushy tails this year. And the other day when I was out, I got to thinking. A small caliber ML for squirell would be very fun. So I got home, cleaned my rats, and then starte doing some searching on the net. I came accross a few articles. I found a few talking about .32 and .36 cal ML, and a few that discussed using a 50 or 54 and "barking" them. My curiosity perked up over the small caliber numbers, so I started looking for one. I came accros one, but at $400, it was too pricey. Is anyone aware of a samll caliber ML that won't break the bank? Like in the $200-$300 range. Thankls for any advice or input.
Until you find the .32 or .36 you are looking for, you can use your .50 cal if you use a small charge with it. This thread discusses the small game load I use in my .50 cal. Hawken.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1863067&mpage=1&key=Blackjack&am p;#1864026
Old 12-21-2006, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

fontier gander posted a link yesterday that got me thinking the same thing...

http://www.possibleshop.com/cva-rifles.htm

There's a 36 cal CVA Bobcat that looks really nice. I've personally never shot one but it falls in the category you're asking about and it's a pretty lookin' gun if you ask me.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:04 PM

Thanks for the input. I'll hae to do some more reading now.LOL Thanks again guys, I greatly appreciate it.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:33 PM

I personally would look for a .32cal for squirrels and rabbits. I built a rifle using a traditions frontier gander .36 barrel. Holy smokes! Ive never seen rabbits explode when shot. I aint kidding you, 80% of the rabbits i shot with the .36 blew in half. I only used 30 grains of powder and a .350 ball. Awesome shooting rifle but the original stock i made cracked and so im buying maple this time and building another. That lil rifle is fun though, i lost count of rabbits after 20 .
Old 12-22-2006, 09:05 AM
Typical Buck

Just ordered CVA bobcat from possible shop. I have had 36 cal years ago should bea nice light gun with hooked breech to help cleaning. I have 350 mould have to get buisy and get some bullets cast.