Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bushnell Red Dot

Old 03-10-2006, 07:29 PM

Default Bushnell Red Dot

I have looked, listened, read all the information I
could find on the Red Dot Sight. My old eyes needed
some help, and with my shots being at 50yds or
less, I went to Gander Mountain today. I opted for
the Bushnell Trophy Red Dot with the 4 different
reticles. Can't wait to try it out. I played with
"my new toy" as my wife called it and I think it
will work great for the type of terrain I will be
hunting. I was also informed that the bank is
closed for all withdrawls, for hunting or fishing
supplies!!! We had 60mph winds & rain last
night. Lots of trees down, power outages, and
they say we will get some more Sat & Sun.
So it may be a little while before I can try the
red dot out. Good Shooting & God Bless Danny
Old 03-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Bushnell Red Dot

If your shots are all 50 yards and closer, you will find that the RED DOT you have is VERY ACCURATE. I have two of them on different rifles and one on a Ruger Redhawk .44 magnum and they are all great shooting. All you have to watch is the time of the day. As the light changes, you will find adjusting the intensity of the red dot very helpful. I use the 3 MOA almost 99% of the time.

Also at dusk, the red dot can grow a tail. Ignore the tail. It is a reflection in the lens. The main dot is still true for you. I have shot a 4" group at 100 yards with mine, and at ranges of 50 yards and in, I can really pack a bulls eye with a steady rest and that RED DOT.

The battery in my RED DOTs have lasted over a year and not faded at all. One time I know they were on for 24 hours [&o] which was my fault. Be sure to check it when you put it away. I like mine and they are a lot of fun on the range.

Also at dusk, if you can see it you can shoot it. Put the dot on it and squeeze the trigger...
Old 03-10-2006, 07:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bushnell Red Dot

I bought one last year and have not given it an honest try but I do not like the darkness of the lense. That would be fine for a powered scope but it makes it hard for me with a lit optic in the center.

That being said it shoots great and if yours is lighter than mine you will love the thing. I like the small dot better than all the other choices and it works good in dark and bright situations. Right now I have mine on my norinco and have yet to give that rifle range time but I will let you know how well it works It shot 2" at 60yds with the small dot but I have no clue how well it will do at long ranges. One of the problems is even the small dot will cover a bull at ranges over 50yds so I would advise that it is good to 100yds at best and it gives quick pick up of target.

godd luck with yours, Brian