Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Small Caliber Smokepole? >

Small Caliber Smokepole?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Small Caliber Smokepole?

Old 06-14-2007, 10:23 AM

Default Small Caliber Smokepole?

OK, Folks. Here's my question, maybe somebody out there knows the answer. I've recently got into muzzleloader shooting and hunting and I love it. I've got a CVA Optima that works really well for me. I'd really like to go after small game and prairie dogs with a smokepole too... I think it'd be a great challenge. My .50 is kind of big for that kind of hunting, though. I started looking around to see if anyone made a .30 or .32 cal rifle with 209 primer capability. So far, I haven't found anything. Anyone know if this sort of gun exists?
Old 06-14-2007, 10:37 AM

Default RE: Small Caliber Smokepole?

Geez, a 209 would drive a .312 ball by itself.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

This might be what you are looking for.
http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/productDetail.aspx?id=930100

What is wrong with a traditional small game rifle? Traditional rifles are a lot of fun.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:18 PM

Sharp Shooter,
Absolutely nothing wrong with traditional small game rifles. I've been hunting with them since my dad firsttook me hunting when I was a kid. Just thought it might be fun to try it with a muzzle loader too. I'm always up for trying something new and different.

Thanks for the link!
Old 06-14-2007, 01:33 PM
Dominant Buck

If it were me and I thought there might be a chance of some longer shots needed, I would go with a .40 caliber. The extra weight of the projectileis good for larger game like coyote, while still small enough for squirrels and bunnies. In some states a .40 caliber is legal for deer hunting even.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:34 PM

How about a traditional side hammer, is what I think he meant. Caplock flintlock sorta gun. I have an old cva in .32 that is deadly on squirrels. Very light loads are all that are needed. Any more than 30 grains and it starts throwing groups the size of basketballs. Loaded hot it is very destructive on anything but head shots. I really think that a 209 would be extreme overkill for the loads that a .32 fire. I have seen an inline .32 though, it was called a Squirrel Hunter and it looked like a modern bolt action. I have never seen one before or since. Like most in-lines I didnt see the point. It took a #11 cap and looked like it would be a bitch to cap and clean. For my money get a sidelock, if you have to use a scope you need to get closer.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:50 PM

Cayuqad has a point about .40s. If you are after coyotes or something requiring long shots, a little more medicine than a .32 might be required. Mine at least, doesn't like lots of powder and won't stretch it's legs much beyond rabbit and squirrel range. Besides a forty just sounds wicked going off.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Green Mountain Barrel company makes a .40 caliber that goes right into my Renegade or Hawkins rifles. I want to get one in a flintlock. That would make a lot of fun shooting on the range as well.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:08 PM

I go to the rendevous at Pomme de Terre lake here in Mo. every year. There seems to be a large contingent of .40 shooters on the trail walk. A long barreled forty makes a very distinctive crack. I do think though after my experiences with a .32 that it would be too much gun for bunnies and squirrels. I know, I know, head shots only but with that restriction applied the original poster might as well light load his fifty.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:51 AM
Spike

T/C made a couple of inlines in .32 caliber awhile back. The Firehawk was their first I believe and they didn't make it very long. You don't see many of these anymore. Nice little rifle with a 24" stepped barrel. They also made the System 1 in .32 caliber. The System 1had a 26" barrel and is interchangeable. You can have one gun with different barrels in .32, .50, .54, and .58 calibers and a 12 guage. The System 1 can still be found in .50 and .54, the other calibers are getting hard to come by.The Firehawk and System 1 usea #11 cap but they also sold a 209 conversion for them. They also have the QLA, or false muzzle, which alot of people find difficult to load a round ball in without cutting the patches at the muzzle rather than using a precut round patch. The only current inline .32 caliber I can think of is the Knight Custom Rifle made by Green Mountain Barrels. You can see it on their website under "Featured Products". It is based on their disc rifle and is a nice looking rifle. (also costs $799.95). Hope all that helps.

Quick Reply: Small Caliber Smokepole?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.