Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 How Many Shots at Range? >

How Many Shots at Range?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How Many Shots at Range?

Old 11-21-2005, 03:35 PM

Default How Many Shots at Range?

I have been working on loads, etc. for my Knight Wolverine. My question is this: How many shots at the range can one take and still maintain consistency with the gun's performance?

I shoot as many as 10 - 15 times (I lightly clean the bore between shots and clean the breech plug after every 5 shots) - is there a point in time where the accuracy/consistency will suffer due to a dirty gun?

Thanks

Old 11-21-2005, 04:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How Many Shots at Range?

LyleK

For me a day at the range shooting is usually a very long day. The more shooting I get in the better.. This past weekend I shot 36 shots in groups of three at targets. The accuracy of the gun never changed.

I do as you, swab the bore after each shot and dry it, mostly because i need to do something to waste time so the barrel remains cool. At this point after many years of shooting - I do not do a thing with the breech plug until get home and strip clean the gun. I think I have mastered the stuck breech plug thing and so far it is working ( really need to add it took a couple of years for me to get this kind of confidence). It is always better to be safe rather than sorry when it comes to the breech plug - do not freeze one they become a bear...

For me plastic fouling is not an issue and the swabbing after shots takes care of most of the powder residue...

hope you find a routine that works for you...
Old 11-21-2005, 05:04 PM

40-50 shots every Saturday morning year round except during hunting season.

In December/January/February with reallow humidity I'll wipe every 10-12 shots...the rest of the year with normal or higher humidity I don't wipe between shots at all.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:05 PM

Just had a thanksgiving day shoot at our club,and my friends gun was on the workbench. Using patch and ball we fired 60 rds without any problems and or lost not accuraacy. By putting Balistol on the patches we had no loading problems and did not have to clean our plug nor nipples throught out the matches.We both even won turkeys for the table Balistol is a good cleaner if you wish to patch it down your barrel as well. vangunsmith.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:22 PM
Dominant Buck

I swab between shots like you and the rifle seems to suffer no accuracy effect. About every 15 shots I will take some Simple Green on a couple patches and really clean the barrel close. Then I alcohol patch the barrel a few, and then dry patch it. I also check the breech plug every so often to make sure it is not seized. Other then that, I will shoot all day.

With some of my traditional rifles, I can shoot 30 shots or more and never swab the barrel although I do... I guess a force of habit. With the traditional rifles I swab about every 10-15 shots although I would not have to..

Also, shooting this new Pinnacle Powder 3f I would not think I would have to swab the barrel at all. I have shot 15 sabots and never swabbed without a real change in accuracy...

A lot will depend on powder brand, rifle brand, and climate you are shooting I think....
Old 11-22-2005, 06:22 AM

Thanks for the great input ! I do appreciate all of you taking the time to respond.

Thanks again.

Lyle