Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
7mm mag for  short range shots... >

7mm mag for short range shots...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

7mm mag for short range shots...

Old 10-31-2002, 08:24 PM

Default 7mm mag for short range shots...

i am think about getting a 7mm mag for deer hunting. my shots are form 30 to 150 yard shots. If i am going to use a 140 grain bullet will it make a big exit hole. If so how big will the hole be could someono please help me out THANKS Alot
Travish
Old 10-31-2002, 08:39 PM

Default RE: 7mm mag for short range shots...

it depends on what type of bullet you use. If you use a nosler partition it should kill anything in the lower 48 that you hit in the heart/lung area.

I would go with a nosler partition or another bullet of similar construction. I would do this because a hit at close range may cause the bullet to fragment too easily, especially if hitting solid bone.

yes it will make a nice exit hole.

If you are set on a 7mm, check into the 7mm-08. It does not have the "camp bragging" of "shootin' a big ol' magnum gun", but it kills deer with a beautiful efficiency and will not have the recoil or cost per shot of the 7mm mag.

I was one of the magnum braggers too at one time. I don't know, it just doesn't turn me on like it did at one time.

If your heart is set on a 7mm mag. get a buddy to work up some loads that are a bit lighter than factory. IF you need a second shot you will be glad that you opted for the lighter load.

The 7mm mag doesn't really start getting ahead of the crowd until you pass the 400 yard mark.

~Happiness is flying brass! -Country Boy
Old 10-31-2002, 09:00 PM

thats what i am asking
Will it leave a big exit hole cause i do not want a big exit hole on the deer????
Old 10-31-2002, 09:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

May I ask what you shoot now? Secondly, may I ask why the huge hole?

Old 10-31-2002, 09:18 PM

This year I was fortunate enough to draw an elk tag. To make a long story short, I shot a nice 5X with my 7mm Ultra Mag using a 140 nosler partition with muzzel velocity of 3500fps. From 50 yards I him in the neck and he dropped in his tracks. It left a quarter size hole through his spine and did not damage much meat at all. I am very happy with the performance of the patition. I would go with the partition.

GOD HAS BLESSED AMERICA!
Old 10-31-2002, 11:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on your elk. I think he is looking at a 7mm Rem Mag not Ultra...so MV will be less. Parts are great bullets no doubt about, I don't like the accuracy, but love the retention and penitration. A part will never give you a hole that is huge, b/c it retains so much of the bullet, it often plucks out the other side in the quarter size holes. I also believe they are overkill on deer sized game though. Elk, moose, bear very good.

If you want huge damage and big holes, then Ballistic tips or Boattails...50 yards out of a 7 mag, may result in poor penetration with BT's though. A Hornady BTSP will be just fine in a 154GR bullet, it will leave you with a fist size exist hole. I personally shoot BT's or now the new SST from Hornady, they cause huge damage and will put the spins on the animal like now out of a 7 Rem Mag. I have shot deer at 50 yards with a 130 BT out of a 270 and the deer hand a hole you could see through.

Again I ask why the hole, is it for blood trail or shock power? Cuz if so the BT or Boattail is what you want. But I am not sure the 7 Rem Mag is necessary for 50-150 yards shots. Its colours shine at the longer pokes...but I shot one and most of my deer are 200 or under, however I do have the chance to take the long ones and like to have the ability to do so.

Edited by - skeeter 7MM on 11/01/2002 00:38:19
Old 11-01-2002, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been shooting the 7mm mag for 4 years and have killed 10 or 12 deer with it in that time. Most of them have been under 150 yards. I load my own shells and use the nosler 140 grain ballistic tips. Most of the time there is no exit hole. Most of the time that ballistic tip goes into a jillion pieces, destroying the lungs, heart and most everything else in the area. However, I havn't lost any meat with the ballistic tip but I don't take bad shots, I get the lungs. I very seldom drop a deer in it's tracks but the most any have run is around 60 yards. I shoot a fairly hot load. The nice thing about the ballistic tip and the 7mm mag, if I have the opportunity and a good brace with the winds calm, I am confident taking a 300 or 400 yard shot. I practice that long shot or otherwise I wouldn't take it.
Before I started loading my own shells, I shot 140 grain partitions and would get about 1 inch exit hole.
I put a Hogue pillar bedded stock on my 7mm mag. There about $100. The butt of the stock is soft and absorbs most of the kick. I shot 50 rounds sunday, and another 20 rounds monday and my shoulder is not sore at all and that was with a short sleeve shirt. Good luck to you.

Old 11-01-2002, 08:54 AM
Dominant Buck

I have a brother that likes to shoot cannons. He shots a 7mm mag. at close range I have seen it pass right through, leaving small holes. I have also seen it rip off shoulders and leave big exit holes. It all depends on what is hit. I like a 30-06 and it does the same thing. I have even had my 30-30 make big holes. The only gun I have used that doesnt damage the deer much is a 22-250. It also depends on the ammo you use.

Lifes a garden, dig it.